Blue-green algae (I think)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JamesTasker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a lot of what I assume is blue-green algae (because its greeny blue :p ) covering my substrate - sand and some of my plants. But it is not on my log or glass or equipment. I understand that this is a mixture of bacteria and algea but I don't know how to get rid of it? Also, I have various plants and none of them seem to be growing but I'm loathed to add more fertiliser until the algae has gone. Previously I have been using Cryptoplus but I also have nutrafin gro. Any help would be appreciated as I have very little success with plants :( .
P.S. my water is very hard so this could be a problem.

I am beseiged by some algae or bacteria that I thought was blue-green algae at first. Now I think it is something else. I can't remember the name of it, but it is not an algae.

I think it is caused, well helped, by having too much iron on the water. Does it come off in sheets?

If it is on a leaf I can just get one edge of it and peel it off. Does your have that trait?

I am not sure what the name of it is that I have, but it started right after I added some fertilizer to a tank that probably did not need any.

Good luck

sounds like cynobacteria, sorry about the spelling.i'm pretty sure you need an antibiotic to get rid of it.i had it in a 10g and had to put in a tablet.since then i've gotten it in another tank, probably from using the same vacuum.read around on the site and get someone to confirm.

cynobacteria need a high PH to survive

Blue-green, slime or smear algae
Grows rapidly in blue-green, slimy sheets. Spreads rapidly over almost everything and usually indicates poor water quality. However, blue-green algae can fix nitrogen and may be seen in aquariums with extremely low nitrates. Sometimes seen in small quantities between the substrate and aquarium sides. Will smother and kill plants.
This is actually cyanobacteria. It can be physically removed, but this is not a viable long term solution as the aquarium conditions are still favorable for it and it will return quickly. Treatment with 200 mg of erythromycin phosphate per 10 gallons of water will usually eliminate blue-green algae but some experts feel it may also have adverse effects on the biological filter bed. If erythromycin is used for treatment, ammonia and nitrite levels should be carefully monitored.

Yes, it sort of peels off in sheets, esp. off the substrate. I think ?? I have 2 30W lights on for 12 hours a day.

It can be physically removed, but this is not a viable long term solution as the aquarium conditions are still favorable for it and it will return quickly.

Can't I make the conditions unfavourable and avoid an antibiotic? Unfortunately my pH is quite high.

However, blue-green algae can fix nitrogen and may be seen in aquariums with extremely low nitrates

If I buy some more fish to produce nitrates will this make it go away?

nitrates will make it just more favourable, but if there is a lack of nitrates, cyanobacteria can consume nitrogen

If you could add peat or some driffwood to the water, it might help.

what size is your tank?

option 1 :You might need to lower the PH. increase the light and add more fast growing plant.. and stop adding fertiliser for now.

option 2 :I would remove all the plant place them in a plastic bucket with some old gravel and plant them there add lots of light and some fertiliser.

Switch the lights off on the 30Gallon tank clean you filters..

Keep it like that for 1 week and
then physically removed as much alge from the plant as possible before adding it back to the tank.

If the water conditions are still favorable for it and it will return quickly
but now you have a week to make the water unfavorable

I have cyano bacteria in my marine tank. It comes off in sheets and growls like crazy on the substrte. I never knew u could get it in a FW aquarium. In marine I believe it is caused by high phosphates, and u would need to get a phospahte sponge. Someone correct me if I wrong about the phosphates, but I know taht is the reason in marine aquaria.

-Trevray2

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back