Blue Acara Size help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Just wondering what size blue acara I should try and look for to go with my large South american tank (apart from my synodontis lol he was too cute to say no too) I feel like I've researched blue acaras to death recently but I'm just worried about what size fish I should buy because I can only find small 5cm fish which is even smaller than my bolivian rams and I was only looking to house one blue acara (basically to give it as much territory space as possible) and I'm probably being very stupid and should just go for the small 5cm juvies anyways but I really want to be safe at the same time (Especially with a large syno eupterus in the tank as his mouth is quite large) I'm sorry if I'm wasting everyones time with a question that I should already know I just want whats best for the fish.

Are you afraid the bigger fish may eat the Acara?
To be honest, yeah I am as in the past I've owned fish that would normally cause no issues then out of nowhere eat or kill a fish that's usually seen with it, my rams are almost adults and actually boss about alot of my larger cichlids but because all the blue acaras I'm finding so far are really small it scares me that something will go for it straight away

That is a genuine concern. Do you another tank that you could keep it in until it matures?

You could maybe ask your LFS to save it for you, until it gets bigger. (Offer more money than what they are selling it for now, because juveniles sell for less than adults)

That is a genuine concern. Do you another tank that you could keep it in until it matures?

You could maybe ask your LFS to save it for you, until it gets bigger. (Offer more money than what they are selling it for now, because juveniles sell for less than adults)
Thank you for understanding, I could potentially house it in my smaller community for a short while but my dwarf gouramis will probably pose an issue to it, the other tank I own would be too small unfortunately :( I could try it with the other south americans straightaway but I'd need a quick backup plan

That is a really good idea actually, I might ask them too if I cant find anyone online selling one thats just over 7cm. I don't know if they would be willing too as they might not want to dedicate a tank to growing an acara out but if its my last option to getting one I pray they will haha!

I'd wait until you can find some at the right size.

Whats your stocking in the big tank atm?

Wills

I'd wait until you can find some at the right size.

Whats your stocking in the big tank atm?

Wills
So I have 2 gold severums, 2 threadfin acara, 2 bolivian rams, a large synodontis and 6 rosy tetras :) My biggest concern is with the syno as I'm thinking he is a hybrid between eupterus and another species

Are the Blue Acaras bigger than the Rosy Tetras?

Are the Blue Acaras bigger than the Rosy Tetras?
They're smaller than the tetras at the minute which is what scared me, The tetras also have some pretty high evading speed when anything even goes a bit too close for they're liking where as the acaras seemed slow, I wonder if the shop should be selling them at such a small size?

They're smaller than the tetras at the minute which is what scared me, The tetras also have some pretty high evading speed when anything even goes a bit too close for they're liking where as the acaras seemed slow, I wonder if the shop should be selling them at such a small size?
I should also add that they're only a tiny bit smaller hence why I was still thinking about buying them but it's just very tough to predict

Do you happen to live near (or drivable out of lockdown) any of the good cichlid shops like Wharf Aquatics near Nottingham or Pier Aquatics in Wigan?

Wills

Do you happen to live near (or drivable out of lockdown) any of the good cichlid shops like Wharf Aquatics near Nottingham or Pier Aquatics in Wigan?

Wills
I do live fairly close to nottingham! But it would take me a good 45mins as I live outside Lincoln. It's a shame I moved from manchester as I could've gone to pier :(

Def worth a trip to wharf for 45 mins drive just give it a few weeks just don’t impulse buy the whole shop haha ? they keep good stock lists on their website too

Def worth a trip to wharf for 45 mins drive just give it a few weeks just don’t impulse buy the whole shop haha ? they keep good stock lists on their website too
Was just looking at the pictures and thought I'm going hahaha and I'll try not too but no promises I'll end up walking out with a whole new tank alongside some impulse cichlid buys ?

@Wills Thank you for showing me wharf aquatics Its like fish heaven! They have the acaras in stock so hopefully I'll be able to go and pick one up soon along with some amazon swords and frogbits to finish the tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back