black spots on white betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

meowmeow2d

Reaction score
Hi, I notice a few black spots on my white betta's fins. I can't find anything except that it could be color change. Also, his scales look "chalky" and his fins look "jaggedly". I've been treating him with fungal infection medication but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Water parameters are good, there's a heater and he is eating and behaving normal.

Should I be concerned with the physical appearance?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220121_083444[1].jpg
    20220121_083444[1].jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220121_083450[1].jpg
    20220121_083450[1].jpg
    222 KB · Views: 59
Hi, I notice a few black spots on my white betta's fins. I can't find anything except that it could be color change. Also, his scales look "chalky" and his fins look "jaggedly". I've been treating him with fungal infection medication but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Water parameters are good, there's a heater and he is eating and behaving normal.

Should I be concerned with the physical appearance?

Thanks!
Never use medication without knowing the cause of the problem first. They often do more harm than good.
I'm not sure what the problem is though.

There is a parasitic worm that causes black spot disease in fish. It causes small round black dots to appear on the body or fins. This does not look like black spot disease because the black marks are not uniform or round.

I would say it is most likely colouration from the fish.

If the fins look a bit ragged, check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. That can help fix a lot of things.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

IMO, its his natural coloring. If I were you, I'd stop any medications and just keep an eye on him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back