Black skirt tetra- white scabs(not spots) on head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

solitarytree

Reaction score
Hello!! Iā€™m new here but I joined because Iā€™ve got a sick fish and I have no idea whatā€™s wrong with him. Heā€™s in the family tank (I donā€™t have any personal fish), and Iā€™ve got mollies(2), zebrafish(3), black skirt tetras(2), Cory(1), pleco(1), and two baby mollies. Iā€™m scared he will infect the other fish and i really want the baby to survive, but also him. If I can do anything for him I want to- we have a 10gal empty tank I could use as a quarantine/healing tank if I need to. All the other fish are doing fine.

Details on fish: he is swimming funny(bobbing up and down), he has been sort of lethargic(hasnā€™t been hanging around the other black skirt much, mostly hanging out under the tower we have), and he is very thin now(like. Upwards not actually fat sideways). I noticed he was swimming and acting oddly probably 5-6 days ago.

Someone on Reddit suggested ich(not likely, I think, as no other fish have the issue and itā€™s not neat little dots it looks sort of like an infection), and someone else on Reddit said it looks like a possible wound got infected. I would like all the input I could possibly get, Iā€™ve scrolled through every fish disease article I can find and I canā€™t find anything that looks remotely the same.

The latter person on Reddit suggested using Kanaplex and turning up the temp. I donā€™t have kanaplex right now and itā€™s 11pm so I canā€™t get any until tomorrow, but would that be a good idea? And if so, should I treat him in the tank with the others, or should I treat him in the empty tank we have? I just want to give this fish a good life, I donā€™t think itā€™s his time yet, I think he has a few years left on him and I want him to make it there.

VIDEO OF FISH HERE:

Oh I should have included these questions as well.
- would it be better to put him in the empty tank and if so what should I do? (I have never taken care of fish, I donā€™t know even the basics, in reality. Iā€™m learning and Iā€™m trying every day now) Iā€™m not sure how to cycle a tank or do any of that important stuff
- if not kanaplex, what can I do? If you could even just point me to articles that may help Iā€™m all for reading, I donā€™t expect anyone to break it down for me. Thank you in advance, I really want to help this guy

That looks like a form of columunaris, not the cotton mouth variety, and can become hole in the head disease. Don't increase the water temp as that will make the issues worse in the tank. Where you are will depend on your available medications and I would treat the whole tank. You might find that you can treat with maracyn and maracyn2 combined or you might find that you can use a product called ich-x due to its ingredients. I would also use aquarium salt dosed at half recommended strength for the salt that you have. As with all treatments there is no guarantee that they will work. All the suggested medications can normally be purchased on amazon. If you are on fb a group called tropical aquariums for newbies is a helpful group if you need advice with treatments and how to cycle the tank. There are questions to answer but that's to prevent spamming robots joining the group

Welcome to TFF

@Colin_T , have a look

I can say, you have a mixture of soft and hard water fish in this tank...what is the hardness of your source water?

Also, BS tetras can be very nippy and aggressive, especially when kept in less than ideal numbers (<10)

ALL tetras should be in groups of no less than 8, they are a social fish

That does look like he got injured and then it got infected. You said you don't know how to cycle? How long has the tank itself been set up with water in it? Here are articles on how to cycle tanks: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

When Colin gets here he will always suggest salt. It is very good for treating things because its not as harsh as the meds out there for them. And also, you could get a breeder box that hangs inside the tank to keep him separated from others but also be able to treat the whole tank.

I would also recommend you check the hardness of your water... Mollies are hard water fish and all the rest are softwater. If a hard water fish is kept in soft water or a soft water fish is kept in hard water, that will lead to kidney failure.

I can't view anything due to my computer and need pictures posted here.

Don't add anti-biotics unless you know what the fish has. Kanaplex, Maracyn & Maracyn 2 are anti-biotics that only treat some types of bacteria and you should only use them if the fish have a known bacterial infection.

Ich-X contains Malachite Green, which is great for treating external protozoan parasites but doesn't do much else. It is also carcinogenic (causes cancer) so you should only use it if you have to, and wash your hands and arms with soapy water after using it or working in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back