Black Molly has Fish Fungus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

downesdn

Reaction score
I have 3 mollies. The affected molly is the biggest at about 3 inches. The other 2 are only about 2 inches long. I have a platy, a pleco, and a newly acquired albino clawed frog in a 10 gal tank. I just changed the entire tank water less than a month ago. Had to get a new tank because the other one broke.

One of my mollies appears to have some sort of fish fungus. I noticed it about a week ago. The scales on her back turned white so I isolated her in a net breeder in the same tank because I had originally thought that the other fish were beating her up or something.

Anyway, after I isolated Molly into the net breeder, the white/gray scales turned cottony and started to get worse. She didn't seem to be acting any differently than normal, but I went to the store to find out what types of treatments were out there that could cure it.

I bought some fish fungus tablets. They turn the tank water bright green, and you have to turn the filter off to use them. So I dropped a tablet in. After 24 hours I had to turn the filter back on because the water got unbelievably cloudy. I watched Molly after I had put the tablet in the water but the cottony patches just got worse. They're still on the same spot on her body, so they haven't spread, but it just looks like she's wearing a fuzzy coat now. I isolated her in a separate bowl after 2 days in the water and I added part of a treatment tablet to the water. I tested the levels of the water in the new bowl that I put her in, and the conditions were significantly better than that of the 10 gal tank. I put her in and she's been in the "hospital bowl" for a little less than 24 hours. After watching her this morning, she still has a coat of cotton on her back and she seems to not want to do anything. She also keeps swimming around the tank and jerking wildly from time to time.

I don't know what to do!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back