Biorb questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Georgia 2021

Reaction score
Hey, Iā€™ve just rehomed a biorb 15l freshwater tank with what I believe to be a female betta and 2 shrimp. Theyā€™ve lived in there for quite a few months but the owners are moving and canā€™t take them. I had a big tropical tank about 7 years ago but freshwater is different. This one little fish looks so lonely , could I add another fish and maybe a couple more shrimp? Can cherry shrimp go in cold water? The ones in there are greyish and quite translucent. How would the betta cope with another fish? I know theyā€™re more docile than a male, what about another female? Obviously thereā€™s not much room for more than 2 small fish so I wonā€™t overcrowd the tank. Photos attached of tank, fish and one of the shrimp (the other one is shy)
Sorry so many questions for my first post! Thank you ?

Attachments

• 8D7B38D1-098D-411B-835A-B2949DE8E78F.jpeg
    8D7B38D1-098D-411B-835A-B2949DE8E78F.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 167
  • 0B398617-8848-49EE-810B-1AC6A6E2BF43.jpeg
    0B398617-8848-49EE-810B-1AC6A6E2BF43.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 133
  • 160DCA3F-1FBB-46FC-AB1E-3B46541C80A7.jpeg
    160DCA3F-1FBB-46FC-AB1E-3B46541C80A7.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 119
Hey, Iā€™ve just rehomed a biorb 15l freshwater tank with what I believe to be a female betta and 2 shrimp. Theyā€™ve lived in there for quite a few months but the owners are moving and canā€™t take them. I had a big tropical tank about 7 years ago but freshwater is different. This one little fish looks so lonely , could I add another fish and maybe a couple more shrimp? Can cherry shrimp go in cold water? The ones in there are greyish and quite translucent. How would the betta cope with another fish? I know theyā€™re more docile than a male, what about another female? Obviously thereā€™s not much room for more than 2 small fish so I wonā€™t overcrowd the tank. Photos attached of tank, fish and one of the shrimp (the other one is shy)
Sorry so many questions for my first post! Thank you ?
that is a male molly and 2 shrimp..... mollies need heated.... it is far too small to have any fish in it... maybe rehome the mollyu with a bunch of other ones in a 15 gallon TANK, the amanos can live in the biorb(not reccomended) ph? gh?

This one little fish looks so lonely , could I add another fish
No. 15l is not enough even for one fish. It's not a betta btw, it's a molly - like Sgooosh said.
Can cherry shrimp go in cold water?
How cold are we talking? For cherry shrimp the temperature shouldn't drop below 68F/20C.

No. 15l is barely enough for one fish. It's not a betta btw, it's a molly - like Sgooosh said.

How cold are we talking? For cherry shrimp the temperature shouldn't drop below 68F/20C.
yep! the molly should be in troppical temperatures in a bigger tank with some friends...

Ah I did wonder on a molly, but thought it needed warmer water ?ā€ā™€ļø Itā€™s been living in this tank for ages already. Ok so no more fish, but what other cold water shrimp could I get? Or snails? I know itā€™s small but I donā€™t have the money to get a bigger one. Itā€™s lukewarm water with filter and light. No heater. Thanks everyone

Ah I did wonder on a molly, but thought it needed warmer water ?ā€ā™€ļø Itā€™s been living in this tank for ages already. Ok so no more fish, but what other cold water shrimp could I get? Or snails? I know itā€™s small but I donā€™t have the money to get a bigger one. Itā€™s lukewarm water with filter and light. No heater. Thanks everyone
Nerites are pretty good snails, especially since they donā€™t reproduce in freshwater. Other shrimp include amano and ghost. Donā€™t know the temp required for those though. I would get a spare heater just in case you change your mind. They are really only 15-20 dollars. At least I got mine for that much and it worked fine.

Live plants are tricky with a biorb as the rocks on the bottom - part of the filter - are a bit too big for plant roots. However, there are plants which can be grown attached to decor - a small rock or a small piece of wood. There are several small species of anubias which would work - read up on them as some species can grow large. One of the smaller varieties of java fern would also work, or any species of bucephalandra. These are all slow growing plants but shrimps would be more than happy with them.
Because your biorb is the rectangular type rather than the spherical type, a small species of floating plant should work, though the outflow from the filter will keep it pushed to the edges. Look at Salvinia.

How cold does the room get in the middle of the coldest winter night? If it drops below 20 deg C you will need a heater for amano shrimps and nerite snails should decide to get one.

The shrimp in your photo is an amano shrimp.

Please please rehome the molly :-( If you were closer, I'd offer him a home. They're a tropical species, and surviving in cool temps and in a tiny tank is not the same thing as thriving :-(

The shrimp in your photo is an amano shrimp.

Please please rehome the molly :-( If you were closer, I'd offer him a home. They're a tropical species, and surviving in cool temps and in a tiny tank is not the same thing as thriving :-(
i'm surprised that poor thing is even surviving, either give it away to a local fish store, or just get a 15gallon with a lot more mollies...

i'm surprised that poor thing is even surviving, either give it away to a local fish store, or just get a 15gallon with a lot more mollies...
Not a lot of mollies, even a 15 gallon is really too small for mollies. They can get pretty sizeable, and they're an active fish and a strong swimmer. 20-30 gallons for mollies in my opinion :) I keep guppies in my 15.5 gallon tanks, but find those tanks too small even for platies really, I grow out platies in those size tanks sometimes, but I'd never put any of my mollies in the 15.5 gallons, they're just too much fish for such a small space :)

He doesn't necessarily need to be with other mollies, but at least some other fish with him, and the 15 L isn't large enough for him, let alone him and any other fish. Sorry OP, not judging you! You didn't choose the set up/fish. I'm just sad for the little dude. I really hate those Biorb tanks! So many fish killed and kept in tiny containers, the round ones are even worse :mad: Those tanks are all about people wanting something stylish, but they're horrible for the fish themselves. I hate them so much.

Not a lot of mollies, even a 15 gallon is really too small for mollies. They can get pretty sizeable, and they're an active fish and a strong swimmer. 20-30 gallons for mollies in my opinion :) I keep guppies in my 15.5 gallon tanks, but find those tanks too small even for platies really, I grow out platies in those size tanks sometimes, but I'd never put any of my mollies in the 15.5 gallons, they're just too much fish for such a small space :)

He doesn't necessarily need to be with other mollies, but at least some other fish with him, and the 15 L isn't large enough for him, let alone him and any other fish. Sorry OP, not judging you! You didn't choose the set up/fish. I'm just sad for the little dude. I really hate those Biorb tanks! So many fish killed and kept in tiny containers, the round ones are even worse :mad: Those tanks are all about people wanting something stylish, but they're horrible for the fish themselves. I hate them so much.
They're piggies, big bioload, as well...

sorry, i meant like 1 or 2 more males :) maybe 30 gallon is better, buut 15g is maneagele for most ppl

Most reactions

Back