Biorb Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
First, I would like people's general opinions and experiences with BiOrbs.

My question is can cherry shrimp and neons be kept in a BiOrb? I have heard of people having danios sucked into the filter, so surely neons would not stand a chance? Or maybe that is only in the smaller biorbs since the flow is bound to be stronger in less volume water, when they all run on the same size pump? I have a 60 litre BiOrb which is just sitting around the house and want to set it up but there's no point if I can't put my cherry shrimp in it.

What kind of fish are most successful in BiOrbs?

NickAu said:
You can always cover the intake with some sponge.
BiOrb filter systems work as an under gravel filter so i dont think that's possible. I think the shrimp may just get sucked into the ceramic media in the bottom :S

I doubt that from what I see on this youtube video on how to set up a biorb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRBBOEt-psI

hmm, well i have had a few people complain to me before about their little fish getting sucked into the ceramic media, though i suppose if i put loads of decorative stones in there that would help

I had a biorb for a few years and never had a healthy fish get sucked into the filter. The filter really isn't very strong at all and I doubt it could suck up and kill any fish that weren't on their way out. I found some of my fish liked to nose around in the gravel looking for food. It is possible for a fish to get stuck in there with the sharp media and die. So long as the media level is above the filter intake I don't think it would cause much trouble.

I too, have had a BiOrb type of tank.

As TT says, the filter is not very strong at all since its air pump driven really, but it is efficient and a good little filter having said that.

You do have to use specific type of substrate which is usually media based porous rocks. Pebbles CAN be used but you have to doubly ensure the tank and filter is cycled. Just as long as water can flow between the rocks / pebbles to the base of the filter at the bottom of the tank, then should be good to go.

This type of tank does not lend itself to being a planted tank really, just stick with the types of plants that can be glued/tied to rocks or wood, anubias and java fern or moss types of plants really, which incidently is perfect for shrimps.

I would keep stocking of fish in this to an minimum despite being 60 litres of water volume, mainly due to this being a circular tank which means suface and swimming area is much less than standard rectangular tanks.

As for suitable types of fish, well you could go along the lines of endlers, guppies (all males of course as they would very quickly overpopulate such a tank as this! ) harlequins (espei)  may be a nice addition and microrasboras would be a good addition. All these will be fine with shrimps and do not particularly need strong current or flow in a tank so that sort of thing could work quite well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back