Billiards Table

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crazybob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not sure where the best place for this topic truly is, but it certainly falls under DIY. I have inherited my great-grandfathers pool table and had it moved to my basement earlier this week. It has some work to be done, mostly cosmetic as a lot of the veneer has fallen off or was so dry it pulled off with minimal effort. The frame and one leg are loose so I will be strengthening those up, and I need all new pockets and rails (which I was previously aware). And to think I was going to start building a stand for a new tank! :fun:

My question is this: Has anyone removed and/or replaced veneer (on new or old furniture)? I talked to a couple of people at woodworking stores and searched around online and they all have made it out to sound pretty easy, tho I'm fairly certain it is going to be a bit of a challenge. I am handy about woodworking, but never have done any fine finish type work as this will be. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have started doing minor things such as cleaning the wood of very old dust, dirty and general grime using Murphy's oil soap and water. I'm planning more work this weekend, my step-father is coming over sunday to help out and better asses the situation with me (under the guidance of beer and pizza of course!)

Thanks everyone!
Lucas

PS. the table is approximately from 1919. I believe it's a Brunswick Grand after some deep internet searching, tho I'm still waiting to hear back from the billiard hall who is calling a historian for me.

Hey all,

I'm not sure where the best place for this topic truly is, but it certainly falls under DIY. I have inherited my great-grandfathers pool table and had it moved to my basement earlier this week. It has some work to be done, mostly cosmetic as a lot of the veneer has fallen off or was so dry it pulled off with minimal effort. The frame and one leg are loose so I will be strengthening those up, and I need all new pockets and rails (which I was previously aware). And to think I was going to start building a stand for a new tank! :fun:

My question is this: Has anyone removed and/or replaced veneer (on new or old furniture)? I talked to a couple of people at woodworking stores and searched around online and they all have made it out to sound pretty easy, tho I'm fairly certain it is going to be a bit of a challenge. I am handy about woodworking, but never have done any fine finish type work as this will be. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have started doing minor things such as cleaning the wood of very old dust, dirty and general grime using Murphy's oil soap and water. I'm planning more work this weekend, my step-father is coming over sunday to help out and better asses the situation with me (under the guidance of beer and pizza of course!)

Thanks everyone!
Lucas

PS. the table is approximately from 1919. I believe it's a Brunswick Grand after some deep internet searching, tho I'm still waiting to hear back from the billiard hall who is calling a historian for me.

if the table is that old, and collectable. what are you doing botching the job. get it done professionally.
if you cant afford that, sell it. dont mess it up.

however I think shoulders hit the nail on the head!

There's an arts and crafts section on the forum, maybe it should be moved there.

Personally, I'd get a professional to do it, I can do a lot with wood but I wouldn't tackle something with the potential to have so much value.

Good luck with the project though and keep us updated.

Thanks for the advice, after a bit more research it's looking like hiring a professional is the way to go. I'm not really concerned about the resale value as I don't ever plan on getting rid of it, however I do want it to turn out nice. And I put it up on this site just because I'm already on it and I know there's quite the diverse population. If a moderator could move this to the arts and crafts section that would be great (or just delete it altogether if that is more appropriate).

thanks guys

Thanks for the advice, after a bit more research it's looking like hiring a professional is the way to go. I'm not really concerned about the resale value as I don't ever plan on getting rid of it, however I do want it to turn out nice. And I put it up on this site just because I'm already on it and I know there's quite the diverse population. If a moderator could move this to the arts and crafts section that would be great (or just delete it altogether if that is more appropriate).

thanks guys

Lucky guy, that Table looks extremely classy. Reminds me of Boardwalk Empire :eek:.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back