Bigger tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Java fern is a very common plant that most LFS stocks as staple for fish keepers really. Unless of course they were out of stock as good healthy plants will sell quickly.

You can order them online, there are some good reputable online sellers that will deliver live plants to you.

If you are UK based then sites like pro-shrimp, aquaessentials and charterhouse aquatics are all sites I regularly use to buy anything aquarium based, including plants.
Perfect, thank you so much!

Java fern is a very common plant that most LFS stocks as staple for fish keepers really. Unless of course they were out of stock as good healthy plants will sell quickly.

You can order them online, there are some good reputable online sellers that will deliver live plants to you.

If you are UK based then sites like pro-shrimp, aquaessentials and charterhouse aquatics are all sites I regularly use to buy anything aquarium based, including plants.
just make sure to keep the roots out of the gravel ;)
Haha noted!

I've used Java Plants as well, they sell Tropica plants. And I don't usually recommend Pets at Home but I understand they stock Tropica plants.

And I don't usually recommend Pets at Home but I understand they stock Tropica plants.
Indeed P@H do sell tropica plants, some in the 1-2-3 grow pots which are lab grown and guaranteed to be free of snails, normally pretty good to get those as long as looks greeen and healthy.

P@H are very much hit and miss when comes to buying livestock and live plants from there, their products are fine, no issue with that side of things. Just when comes to live stocking and plants, very much depends on the P@H in the area, some are good with livestock, some are good with plants but more often than not, not so good really.

If youre buying plants from anywhere, not just pets at home stores, just check the plants themselves, avoid plants with lots of algae growth, withered / drooping leaves, yellowing leaves and colours. You want the young vibrant green plants in good health, there are there if you look carefully and you have to be specific to the staff in pointing out you want THAT specific plant rather than letting them choose the worst ones for you.

P@H also sell tropica liquid fertiliser, theyre not bad, bit pricey but quite good for a once weekly dose of this for your plants later down the line if you decide you want to do this. Not essential as the tap water has nitrate and other minerals that the plants will put to good use, so liquid ferts is not mandatory but it helps the plants maintain good health especially if you have lots of plants.

All Tropica plants are free from any pests or algae and ready to plant straight away. That's why they are considered to be on the pricey side, but I've found that you get what you pay for.
...And don't forget that every plant you buy can usually be split into several. Because the Tropica plants are usually so healthy, splitting them up causes no detriment.

Once, imported plants to the UK had been treated with a pest killer, but it was found that this then killed off snails and shrimp, so now, once more and just like in the really Olden Times, plants bought from the lfs usually carry passengers, in one form of another, leaving the buyer the relative hassle of decontamination.

Indeed P@H do sell tropica plants, some in the 1-2-3 grow pots which are lab grown and guaranteed to be free of snails, normally pretty good to get those as long as looks greeen and healthy.

P@H are very much hit and miss when comes to buying livestock and live plants from there, their products are fine, no issue with that side of things. Just when comes to live stocking and plants, very much depends on the P@H in the area, some are good with livestock, some are good with plants but more often than not, not so good really.

If youre buying plants from anywhere, not just pets at home stores, just check the plants themselves, avoid plants with lots of algae growth, withered / drooping leaves, yellowing leaves and colours. You want the young vibrant green plants in good health, there are there if you look carefully and you have to be specific to the staff in pointing out you want THAT specific plant rather than letting them choose the worst ones for you.

P@H also sell tropica liquid fertiliser, theyre not bad, bit pricey but quite good for a once weekly dose of this for your plants later down the line if you decide you want to do this. Not essential as the tap water has nitrate and other minerals that the plants will put to good use, so liquid ferts is not mandatory but it helps the plants maintain good health especially if you have lots of plants.
Thank you! Great advice we will definitely think about this when coming to buying plants. I agree P@H is very hit and miss, we’ve often had misleading information given to us from there and have not been back there for any livestock or plants since. However, I will still go in store for other pet stuff and occasional aquatic equipment.

Thank you! Great advice we will definitely think about this when coming to buying plants. I agree P@H is very hit and miss, we’ve often had misleading information given to us from there and have not been back there for any livestock or plants since. However, I will still go in store for other pet stuff and occasional aquatic equipment.
Tropica have their own excellent website and I always check there before buying any of their plants from P@H.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back