Bigger tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Olivia G200

Reaction score
Hello! We’ve upgraded tank size from a 25L to a 56L, our fish were fine originally and are now swimming against the glass. Anything we can do to help? Or best just to leave them for now?

Thankyou 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks fine to me and not much to worry with your fish about looking at those pics.

Just one slight concern, one of those plants at back of tank look suspiciously like a house plant, a dracaena type plant.

The plant that has green middle and outer yellow leaves in your pic. Believe is not an aquatic plant. Sorry about that but better you know now rather than when plant dies and gives out loads of ammonia etc

“Glass surfing” is very normal in a new tank setup - they do that when they are exploring their surroundings.

Looks fine to me and not much to worry with your fish about looking at those pics.

Just one slight concern, one of those plants at back of tank look suspiciously like a house plant, a dracaena type plant.

The plant that has green middle and outer yellow leaves in your pic. Believe is not an aquatic plant. Sorry about that but better you know now rather than when plant dies and gives out loads of ammonia etc
Thank you for letting us know, we will take this out. We bought this today with other plants from our local fish store so we assumed they would be ok in our tank as they were altogether when we bought them. Thank you.

Thank you for letting us know, we will take this out. We bought this today with other plants from our local fish store so we assumed they would be ok in our tank as they were altogether when we bought them. Thank you.

In fact, we actually have a dracaena plant, spider plant that is growing in a pot in my own home! Looks a bit like your plant in your pic.

Quite common for some LFS, especially those based in garden centres like certain well known chain store that we have in UK to sell non aquatic plants alongside aquatic plants, crafty really for that extra sale as for folks new to the hobby it is all too easy to assume they are all aquatic plant in the LFS.

I fell for this myself when I was new to the hobby as well, so this is not the first nor will it be the last time that I will see something like this happening!

plant pic.jpg

Thank you for your reply! We have taken it out although we did think it looked nice in the tank🥲

As people new to the hobby we did assume it would be an aquatic plant so we appreciate your response 😊

Sorry, did not mean to rain on your nice tank but ultimately that plant would have died and perhaps set off an ammonia spike which might have affected you livestock. :/

Hopefully you will get some nice replacement live plants such as Java ferns , elodea, cambomba and there are more choices really as those are just examples of easy to care for aquatic plants with standard tank light and set ups.

Pacing is a sign of stress too, which does happen when put into a new environment but also when the water isn't in optimal condition. I'm assuming you cycled the new tank or at least used the old filter media in the new setup?

Sorry, did not mean to rain on your nice tank but ultimately that plant would have died and perhaps set off an ammonia spike which might have affected you livestock. :/

Hopefully you will get some nice replacement live plants such as Java ferns , elodea, cambomba and there are more choices really as those are just examples of easy to care for aquatic plants with standard tank light and set ups.
No worries at all, thank you for letting us know! We’d rather know now rather than when we get a spike!

Where can you find the plants you listed? We’ve looked for Java fern and have not seen any in store.

Pacing is a sign of stress too, which does happen when put into a new environment but also when the water isn't in optimal condition. I'm assuming you cycled the new tank or at least used the old filter media in the new setup?
The fish do seem to be settling in now, we think it was just the initial change to a new tank. Yes we have used the old filter media in the new set up, we are daily testing and currently no issues with the water and temperature is within normal limits for the fish we have.

Where can you find the plants you listed? We’ve looked for Java fern and have not seen any in store.
Java fern is a very common plant that most LFS stocks as staple for fish keepers really. Unless of course they were out of stock as good healthy plants will sell quickly.

You can order them online, there are some good reputable online sellers that will deliver live plants to you.

If you are UK based then sites like pro-shrimp, aquaessentials and charterhouse aquatics are all sites I regularly use to buy anything aquarium based, including plants.

Most reactions

trending

Back