Oscar has abrasion - send help!

Mariac1990

New Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Messages
18
Reaction score
5
Points
3
Location
CHARLOTTE, NC
We set up our tank and made the poor choice of putting big rocks in a corner (I feel so stupid) My Oscar wedged himself between the rocks and the glass and somehow managed to get himself out. He scraped his eye, scales, damaged his fin and he’s pretty banged up. I put him in a temporary tank with melafix and everything was healing except for one spot. Now it looks like an open wound and isn’t progressing. I’ve moved him into a bucket with an air stone, heater and added more melafix. He’s swimming fine and eating. I just don’t know if this is the correctly healing process? First 3 images are when it first happened, last image is him now in the bucket.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9389.webp
    IMG_9389.webp
    118.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_9390.webp
    IMG_9390.webp
    106 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9391.webp
    IMG_9391.webp
    112.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9492.webp
    IMG_9492.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 88
A little salt should help him out but I think he’ll heal up on his own just fine . Do lots of water changes until he does . Oscar’s can’t stand dirty water for long .
 
The "fix" meds are useless. I'd return him to the tank. It should heal if the water quality remains good. Frequent water changes recommended to that end. What are the current water parameters? How long has the tank been set up?
 
It should heal if the water quality remains good.
I have seen many poor Oscar’s fall victim to poor water quality over the years . It usually shows itself with “ hole in the head disease “ from which there is rarely any recovery . These are big fish that produce a lot of waste matter and the poor things do it to themselves and are aided by our neglect . They should have a daily water change in my opinion .
 
I do weekly 25% water changes and this is a hole happened after his head got hurt. He was fine in the morning, by the time I came home he had freed himself and was hurt. I take my water to get tested at the pet store.
 
How big is the tank and who are his mates? Regardless of tank size, 25% weekly water change is nowhere near enough for a tank containing a large cichlid. I also suggest you get a test kit so you know here you are, parameters-wise, at all times.
 
Good. What size tank and how do the two get along? Do you know the genders?
 
The stress guard is just throwing money down the drain and has little to do with the fish healilng.
 
Ok yall im back with worse news. The Oscar was healing but I came home today from work and noticed he has developed more scrapes on his sides, he has what I assume are bite marks and his tail is torn. I have never seen these two Oscar’s fight but even though my albino one is eating, he is very frail and skinny compared to the black one. I THINK the black one is attacking him. Please see images. Should I separate them? Will have to purchase a new tan&s all I have for now is a bucket, a heater and an air stone. Last pic is of the black Oscar. Both are the same age, purchased at the same time, living together for a year and he is significantly larger and healthier looking than the white one.
IMG_9595.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9596.webp
    IMG_9596.webp
    163.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9556.webp
    IMG_9556.webp
    133.6 KB · Views: 89
This is a bit frustrating. I never would have suggested putting him back into the tank without a divider had you let us know there was another Oscar in the tank from the start, and not knowing how large your tank is--this is the third time I've asked--we cannot know if a divider is a possible solution.

The Oscar you are calling 'black' is a normal colored wild-type. The pink one is an albino. Its vision is compromised and cannot compete for food as successfully against the other Oscar. And it's likely being bullied. That's what unpaired cichlids do. He looks emaciated. If your tank is large enough, at the very least get a divider, commonly available on line and in the shops. Or you need to rehome one or get a second set-up which would need to be cycled.
 
This is a bit frustrating. I never would have suggested putting him back into the tank without a divider had you let us know there was another Oscar in the tank from the start, and not knowing how large your tank is--this is the third time I've asked--we cannot know if a divider is a possible solution.

The Oscar you are calling 'black' is a normal colored wild-type. The pink one is an albino. Its vision is compromised and cannot compete for food as successfully against the other Oscar. And it's likely being bullied. That's what unpaired cichlids do. He looks emaciated. If your tank is large enough, at the very least get a divider, commonly available on line and in the shops. Or you need to rehome one or get a second set-up which would need to be cycled.
The fishes look small maybe 3 to 4 inches. If the tank is 40 gallons or larger he could temporarily put in a divider; though in truth these are fast growing fishes that will quickly need 180+ gallon - the larger the better. Long term the only viable solution will be to get another aquarium or more likely give one of them away or to the petshop.

I would estimate in less than 12 months of proper care the fish will need a min. 125 gallon (per fish); and after 18 months 180+ gallon though 240 8 foot aquarium prefered.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top