Big River South

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I messaged them earlier so hopefully get a responce tomorrow. Just states Red shoulder severum (heros Rotkeil) on the website.

Did have some wild caught Curare and Rio gaupore Sevs in stock so its a go chance the Rotkeil are also.

Didnt realise how similar looking the Rorkeil and Curare are. Curare were much darker and had no colour in store
Curare are a really nice fish but really big growing probably the biggest Severum species I think, def bigger than Greens/Golds and have a bit of a reputation of being a bit more aggressive.

Going to be interesting to see if you get any info on them, there did used to be 2 species of red shoulder around one was Rotkiel and the other got called Orange Shoulder which grew bigger and was more orange than red but these dont look like that. With the spots down the side and the red on the body at the dorsal and anal fin, I've not seen that before.

OP
OP
AquaBarb

AquaBarb

Supporting Member
Tank of the Year!
3x Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Curare are a really nice fish but really big growing probably the biggest Severum species I think, def bigger than Greens/Golds and have a bit of a reputation of being a bit more aggressive.

Going to be interesting to see if you get any info on them, there did used to be 2 species of red shoulder around one was Rotkiel and the other got called Orange Shoulder which grew bigger and was more orange than red but these dont look like that. With the spots down the side and the red on the body at the dorsal and anal fin, I've not seen that before.
Oh right, youve got me intrigued now🤔

They are more orange than red atm. Are severums easy to sex

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Oh right, youve got me intrigued now🤔

They are more orange than red atm. Are severums easy to sex
Usually yes, males have pointed fins females have rounded and males usually have a lot of squiggles on the face reaching around the nose where as females will have a few markings on the gill plates but not wrap around the nose. Female Rotkiels have a smaller red shoulder patch too. Sometimes you get females that look male which was what my mouthbrooder was and why she was called Lilly :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online