Big problems in Rio land

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It wont be off the shelf as they are only building me the bare tank, no filter, lighting etc.

"We have managed to get a new tank on order for you

Normally this would not be the case however due to the issues we have managed to secure a new tank

The new tank will need to be booked in for delivery once it arrives to us

In terms of the tank this will just be a bare tank without lights etc, it is simply a bare shell

The old tank we do not require back so this can be disposed of in your own time "
Well it will be rimmed and braced won't it?

So will it have old school glass bracing or the idiotic plastic?

You don't want to be having a repeat of what has already happened 18 months later

Well it will be rimmed and braced won't it?

So will it have old school glass bracing or the idiotic plastic?

You don't want to be having a repeat of what has already happened 18 months later
Yes it will be rimmed a braced but i doubt they will use glass for the braces.

The plastic should do its job hopefully if its actually glue on in the first place. They missed that part out on my tank unfortuntely.

Ill see what i get back from them. Im going to get my tank repaired by replacing the plastic braces with glass then either sell it on or use it again myself.

Last edited:
Well.....new tank arrived today.

Opened it up and its all in one piece which is great.

However.... can you guess what juwel havent done in the process of building it??

Well.....new tank arrived today.

Opened it up and its all in one piece which is great.

However.... can you guess what juwel havent done in the process of building it??
Not glueing the plastic brace’s?….I hope not.

Not glueing the plastic brace’s?….I hope not.
Got it in one lol

No silicone on back or front braces this time. Theres silicone all the way round the trim but none on bottom sections of braces where they meet the glass.

Least its empty and will be easy to pop some silicone on myself.

The old cynic within is saying "Why am I not surprised" by that.

Personally I would cut the plastic bracing right off (leaving the plastic rim intact), go to a glaziers and buy some lengthwise glass and widthwise glass and brace it up myself using glass strips. Cos by the time you have faffed about with the silicone on the plastic bracing (knowing it is likely to fail down the line anyway) it is just as easy to fit your own glass bracing along the length front and back and then two or three cross braces and know that the aquarium will be safe for many years to come....and that your nerves will not be on edge wondering if you will find the plastics have bowed and buckled again

Got it in one lol

No silicone on back or front braces this time. Theres silicone all the way round the trim but none on bottom sections of braces where they meet the glass.

Now you did specifically order a tank without silicon, didn't you :)

Got it in one lol

Is there meant to be silicone there? Or is this a design feature of the tank for some reason?

Not mentioned trading standards yet Wills, im hoping i havent got to because the shop staff have been helpful so far (just Juwel being A-holes)

Just need the shop to agree to collect my tank when they deliver the replacement. They emailed me friday saying i could have a replacement but they worded it like i would have to take my tank to them first. I dont feel like i should have to and its their issue to sort.

I think if my car hadnt decided to want a new gearbox transmission friday i would of ordered a custom 6x2x2 or 8x2x2 and just sold the juwel once replaced.

I went to wharf a couple of weeks ago and saw a cracking180 gallon😍
I haven't read the full thread so this may have been pointed out already, however the easiest way to do this is by doing a chargeback against the Visa card you used. Even if you didn't fully pay for it by Visa there's still a right to a chargeback.
I've done it myself on a number of occasions including a chargeback against a crytocurrency company.
The fact is that you have a tank that has developed a fault and you are perfectly entitled to your money back.

Got it in one lol

I wonder if it is actually meant to be like that then, like does that section of the brace support the plastic frame rather than the tank itself?

I can't see harm in attaching it but wondering if its just an odd design choice? I'm going round a couple of LFS today will have a look if I see any Juwels.

Wills

Is there meant to be silicone there? Or is this a design feature of the tank for some reason?
One of the pictures it looked like they used something like double sided tape (sticky on both sides) but it appeared to peel off the glass.

I'm not sure that it is meant to be attached. Strange as it may seem. I would want glass struts being old fashioned.
As I said...I would be inclined to get a sharp scalpel or Stanley knife and trim those plastic bits off the rim carefully and bin them. Then go to the local DIY store or glaziers and get some glass strips cut to fit lengthways and crossways and some silicone, then fit my own glass bracing.

As I said...I would be inclined to get a sharp scalpel or Stanley knife and trim those plastic bits off the rim carefully and bin them. Then go to the local DIY store or glaziers and get some glass strips cut to fit lengthways and crossways and some silicone, then fit my own glass bracing.
That would mean he loses his warranty though. Thats the really weird thing in all this because Juwels are one of the biggest brands and it feels odd that now 2 tanks are missing this connection and I think other members have said the same. If it was an issue surely Juwel would do a mass recall or lose a lot of money due to warranty and insurance claims?

Totally think AquaBarb was right to go through the complaints process but at this stage I am wondering if its just like that?

Wills

That would mean he loses his warranty though. Thats the really weird thing in all this because Juwels are one of the biggest brands and it feels odd that now 2 tanks are missing this connection and I think other members have said the same. If it was an issue surely Juwel would do a mass recall or lose a lot of money due to warranty and insurance claims?

Totally think AquaBarb was right to go through the complaints process but at this stage I am wondering if its just like that?

Wills
Since this is a direct replacement that allegedly had to be specially manufactured, the lack of full bracing just reinforces that the design is flawed. Even if this replacement is under another warranty, that warranty is not worth the paper that it is written on since Juwel made it quite clear that they had moved the goalposts to evade honouring it on the original aquarium. It wasn't til the retailer (who's reputation would cost more to lose than Juwel) got heavily involved that Juwel relented and replaced the aquarium.

At this stage I would bin the warranty along with the plastic bracing cos months down the line from now, the doubt will be there as to the strength of the bracing...and the mere fact that AquaBarb has to add their own silicone to it anyway to replicate how it should look, is tantamount to Juwel not giving a stuff about the safety of the aquarium design.

An aquarium this size needs appropriate glass bracing...for peace of mind if nothing else. The plastic has failed...not just on this aquarium but on others too....every time the stand is bumped by the vaccum cleaner, every time it gets bumped when doing aquarium maintenance...that seed of doubt will grow....will those plastic braces give way again...

Bin the plastic braces, replace with glass ones and then enjoy and relax with the aquarium knowing it will not give out on you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back