Bettas and Gourami as Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

KatNor21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone mixed a male betta with honey gourami? If so, how did it go? How big was the tank? How many and what sexes were your gouramis? Any aggression? Curious to hear others' experiences.

Don't mix different species of labyrinth fishes (Bettas & gouramis) because they are territorial and fight.

I didnā€™t do it, but my cousin did and they were very aggressive towards eachother so she had to separate them.

I have had honeys (dozen M/F) and a male betta in a 75 gallon without issues. The tank was very well planted.
IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

Last edited:
I have had honeys and bettas in a 75 gallon without issues. The tank was very well planted.
That makes sense. I just have a 30gal and my plants haven't grown in enough. Not enough space for me. Oh well!

I currently have a 125 set up with many gouramis and one female betta, she was a rescue and is doing well. Gouramis in the tank are all females too (1 adult snakeskin, 2 juvi snakeskin, 1 gold, 1 banded, and 2 moonlight) The tank also has rainbow fish, school of harlequins, 7 YoYo loaches, 14-ish black khuli loaches, 7 pavo eels, a BN pleco female, female L333-royal watermelon pleco, and a believe male L27 panaque ambrusteri royal pleco-but he is still small so its hard to tell for sure.

Thank you, I loved that tank and wish I could replicate the lush growth. I had some CO2 set up and was using dry fertilizers.

About 6 years ago. Sorry about the music, sis had her radio on in the background

Last edited:
Thank you, I loved that tank and wish I could replicate the lush growth. I had some CO2 set up and was using dry fertilizers.
Wow! I wish my plants grew like that. Haha

How long did it take to grow that lush?

About 6 months, with the CO2 and fertilizers. The aponos in the tank flowered all the time and I had a lot of seedlings.
I haven't set up the CO2 since I moved from that house though I still have the system (regulator and tanks).

About 6 months, with the CO2 and fertilizers. The aponos in the tank flowered all the time and I had a lot of seedlings.
I haven't set up the CO2 since I moved from that house though I still have the system (regulator and tanks).
Oh ok. I've only had my tank a month. Not using CO2 but using fertilizers. The plants are looking good and growing, just not big yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back