Betta Mistreated, I've Taken It In. Attempting Rehab. Help?

solsed

Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner brought me home a Betta from work, because the person who was 'taking care' of him has left for a different job.

He came to me sitting in his own poo, in a stout vase holding MAYBE 4L.. Plastic plant, rocks at the bottom. That's it. D:

Apparently they weren't doing water changes, they'd just top it up every now and again with STRAIGHT TAP WATER (ours is chlorinated). D:

No heater, no filter, nothing.

As you can imagine, he's in a pretty bad way. Fins half missing, faded colour, the works.

I made him bring home a live plant with him, and I added that to the vase.

Once he got home, I did a big water change (with dechlor chemicals) and have done each day since (2 days).

Finally got some water quality tests, ammonia is JUST there, nitrates/ites not present (phew!)

Today I set up a 20L tank, with a filter and heater and I am wondering if I should move him there?

It's not cycled, but as far as I can imagine, neither is his vase.

I don't have any mature filter media anywhere to help along the process.

But if there's anyone in Brisbane who does, give me a shout out! Haha!

And it's getting chilly at nights here..

So, WHAT DO???

Should I put him in the bigger one, and keep up the regular water changes or keep him in the vase for a good while longer while I try to get this one cycled (which I will have to do with his waste water and a bit of meat or something because I'm in Australia where you can't buy pure ammonia)?

I've never kept a betta before, only a tropical community tank...

Attachments

• fishvase.jpg
    fishvase.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 292
  • fishtank.jpg
    fishtank.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 291
Thank god you found him.

Move him to the 20L definitely.  It's easier to control chemicals in a larger tank.  He will produce ammonia, but it will be more dilute in a 20L than a 4L.  That will give you more time to detect ammonia or any other bad chemical and react with a water change.  Keep in mind you'll be doing plenty of water changes until it is cycled.

If you have an established tank, put the new filter media into the established tank's filter for a few days.  That will seed the new filter media, and you'll pretty much be good to go.  Still test the water in the new tank if you are able to pursue this method.

For a 20L try and find a 25 watt heater.  That would work well.  Also get a thermometer.  They thrive in tropical temperature waters too.

If you have any water conditioners such as Seachem Prime that can detoxify ammonia and nitrites, that will really help the poor guy.

Cycling the tank while he's in is gonna be stressful for both of you, and I wish you both the best.  Keep testing the water two or more times daily.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Have you looked for ammonia in the cleaning section at your supermarket. Thats where I found mine and I'm in NZ :) .
I would say to lower the level of the gravel at the bottom and try to raise the water line as far as possible without it spilling.
Also try to get some more small plants to try and reduce the ammonia.
I would fishless cycle until the tank is processing the ammonia into nitrite as the nitrite is less toxic.
Hope this helps.

I would be tempted to agree with NeonBlueLeon in this instance.  Just be aware you could sadly loose him as the long term ammonia he has been in may have done some damage.  They are hardy fish though so lets hope he pulls through.

Can you get hold of some IAL's, as this will assist with conditioning the water for him and also have some properties to keep him well.

I would also move the HOB to the centre of the tank as he will want to rest in the plants you have in there, or move all the plants away from the HOB.

If you did want Ammonia check out Coles, although double check it is Ammonia only and no other chemical in there ;)

Look forward to hearing more of his journey, and good luck.

Ok, I've got him in, just slowly adding the other tank's water (it's a fair bit warmer in there).

I don't have an establised tank, so no established filter media for me. :(

I do have the 25W heater, it's hidden behind the rock in the left. It's nice and warm for him! :)

Here in Aus, 'unsullied' Ammonia is highly restricted (thanks terrorism) :( So cycling with it isn't possible.

I will have a hunt for some indian almond leaves, I've never actually heard of them before...
innocent.gif
  How do I use them?

I have put the bunch of plant that was in the vase into the tank, so there's more in there now.. 

I had the bunch infront of the outlet (along with the rock)to break up the flow a bit so he isn't swept around and torn up...

He now does have pleanty of other spots... Do you still recon I should move it?

Thank you all so, so much for your help.
You guys are the best.
winner.gif

By spots, you mean hiding spots right?

Yes, I still think you should move him.  Should be much better living conditions.  You could scatter some of the stones in the 4L around in the gravel.  Adds some accent to the floor.  That's just me and my decorating taste, but I digress.

Remember to keep those chem tests up.  Should the ammonia or nitrites spike, you'll be there to fix it.  You're like a superhero!

Don't worry about ammonia drops to cycle the tank if you're going to move him.  Your betta will be the ammonia source.  Adding more ammonia with a fish in the tank is a no no.

Sounds like these guys got ya started on on the right track.

I was going to suggest moving him into the 20L but that got covered. I see you have a heater, just keep up on your water changes. I did a fish in cycle with my 65gal tank and I was doing 50% water changes twice daily for two weeks straight before my levels started to drop so I'd suggest doing large water changes twice a day to help as much as possible

Hope that helps and I wish you and the fish the best of luck.

Thank you for saving this guy too :D

Sorry, with regard to the spots, I was replying to RCA, when he spoke of moving the HOB to the centre of the tank, and wether or not I should still move that.

I've started moving the little fishie into the tank. Yay!

And yes, definitely no ammonia now that he's in there, that was a reply to BlondieLovesFish. :)

I shall do the best I can re water changes. 

I leave for work at 0630, and don't get home 'til about 1830 at the moment D:

But I'll do a big change each morning and night.

And no way could I have left him how he was!

Poor little thing.. People are so ignorant.. :(

I just properly released him into the 20L

He looks so happy!

He's all darting about, exploring! :')

Thanks everyone!

solsed said:
I just properly released him into the 20L

He looks so happy!

He's all darting about, exploring! :')

Thanks everyone!
That is great!  That truly brightened my night up a bit.  I'm gonna go get more wine now. :)

You should name him!  (See signature)

Haha! I love it!

My partner said they called him Gus Fish at his work.
It's kinda stuck with us too. *^-^*

I think it is looking nice! Keep us posted, yeah? (And a picture or a video would be lovely.)

+1 on the pic/video, he is one lucky betta!

Well done, just think what his future held, had this guy not have left for another job?!

Ok this may sound like a silly question but I've never owned a fish ( till now ) with a ripped or cut fin. Like the op was saying in thier first post it's fins and tail were damaged. Will these grow back properly or has the damage been done?

Also congrats I'm so glad to hear he is happy in his new home he deserved so much better then that tiny vase he was in before.

Supraman said:
Ok this may sound like a silly question but I've never owned a fish ( till now ) with a ripped or cut fin. Like the op was saying in thier first post it's fins and tail were damaged. Will these grow back properly or has the damage been done?

Also congrats I'm so glad to hear he is happy in his new home he deserved so much better then that tiny vase he was in before.
Yes, they will grow back in time.  I have found API Melafix to be very useful.  I believe they have a different version of Melafix for bettas called Bettafix, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

You can promote fin regrowth by doing good water changes, and a dash of salt.

Most reactions

Back