Betta In A 10G Community Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Typhlodew

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to know if this is even possible. If it isn't, I will back off this idea entirely and put my betta in by himself. If it is even possible, I would like to know if I could put 5 neon tetra in with him. I have a separate tank ready in case anything goes south. I will properly quarantine him at first to see how he reacts. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Is it possible? Yes. I would recommend having a very densely planted aquarium for protection, and be sure to watch your betta for aggression on either side. Some people have better luck than others, but neons and bettas tend to keep to themselves. Also, tetras are better in larger numbers, so keep that in mind as you're stocking.

While it may be possible--many things are possible but should never be done--and this is one that should not.  Betta are not community fish.

That said, neons are probably one of the worst fish to consider for Betta.  I had a Betta that easily ate a neon many years ago, before I knew better.  Betta tend to be angered by colourful fish, which should not be surprising.  But in reverse, small fish like tetras can often get nippy of long-fin sedate fish.

The Betta is a beautiful fish, and deserves his own space to live without stress, of either form.

Byron.

Byron said:
While it may be possible--many things are possible but should never be done--and this is one that should not.  Betta are not community fish.

That said, neons are probably one of the worst fish to consider for Betta.  I had a Betta that easily ate a neon many years ago, before I knew better.  Betta tend to be angered by colourful fish, which should not be surprising.  But in reverse, small fish like tetras can often get nippy of long-fin sedate fish.

The Betta is a beautiful fish, and deserves his own space to live without stress, of either form.

Byron.
I couldn't have said it Betta,

Bettas are laid back type of fish and do not really appreciate all that darting around from smaller fish. Keep your new friend in his own tank, and make sure you add a lot of live plants including floating ones, Feed him a good quality pellet like New Life Spectrum Betta Omega one or Atisons, lots of warm 80f clean water and he will thrive.
I have a female PK that can't stand snails on "her" glass. My male Cambodian half moon is ok with snails and shrimp, and my new male Crown tail well we will see once he settles in.

All, right thanks. I might end up putting a few amano or cherry shrimp in with him. I have seen this done before, the king of diy (Joey), has his daughters 5 gallon with a betta and 4 cherry shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back