Betta help tropical fish emergency

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pull out the quarantine tank as having the fish in your normal tank will only cause more harm than good by it rubbing on things trying to get it off and making it worst..
lower the temperature to 74/75 to slow the bacterial infection
you could also try furan 2 with salt if kanaplex didn't work...

I am going to stick the old neck out here cos that doesn't look like bacterial to me. The bump in the tail looks more like a cancerous tumour or possibly a resurgeance of a quite severe necrosis type issue that was spotted 10 years ago that affected mainly blue Betta that essentially started with a sudden colouration change, same colour lumps followed by total loss of tail/finnage as if eaten away.

Had the bump been white, then chances are it would be a cyst or ulcer that sometimes happen due to poor water chemistry and bacterial infection. These white bumps can burst and become a very unpleasant sore but ultimately with good husbandry most fish can survive it.

If it is cancer or the necrosis type desease, then sadly there is no alternative but to euthanise since no treatment is available (surgical removal of cancerous tissue needs to be done at first sign of the lump, not after the appendages affected have been lost).

Using search for Betta necrosis in 2012, there are many mentions of the basically unknown issue of strange bumps and lumps, sudden colour changes of fins and tails leading to total loss of the fins and tails and subsequent death....the majority of the issue appears to have affected blue Betta more than any other colouration.

I do remember there being a massive furore over this necrosis problem with blue Betta at the time and no-one could pin down the root cause...inbreeding, genetics, poor husbandry by breeders etc. It might be something to look into though cos if the necrosis problem is returning, it will be bad for Betta in general cos it can spread like wildfire.

pull out the quarantine tank as having the fish in your normal tank will only cause more harm than good by it rubbing on things trying to get it off and making it worst..
lower the temperature to 74/75 to slow the bacterial infection
you could also try furan 2 with salt if kanaplex didn't work...
The fish lives alone in a ten gallon, no need to quarantine.

When I look at it, I think 'tumour' too. It isn't the usual TB sore a lot of bettas develop, and it has a shape that could be a cyst, except for the other damage around it.

Steralising and starting over means binning everything that cannot be bleached, so pretty much the entire contents. Wood, stone, most substrates..
You don't have to bin everything. Plastic can be bleached. Wood, rocks and gravel can be boiled or baked in the oven for an hour at 100-150C. Glass can be bleached or washed in vinegar or alcohol (60%+).

Can someone link me to whichever product Parguard is, please?

contains: aldehydes (glutaraldehyde) and malachite green

can be used to treat external protozoan parasites like Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina, white spot and velvet.

will not do anything to bacterial or fungal infections.

I'm sorry to say, and I'm no fish disease expert of any means, but that betta is far beyond help, IMO

Euthanizing is the humane route to take

Something else has triggered my curiosity on this....its actually been mentioned as a potential variant or connected to the necrotic disease first found in blue Betta in 2012, there are a few reports that the necrotic issue appeared to be symptomatic of a severe and fast forming variant of Mycobacterium Marinum

Mycobacterium Marinum can mimic symptoms of other diseases such as columnaris, dropsy and is often misdiagnosed as other illnesses or diseases.

It is always fatal, there is no treatment and more alarmingly it can sometimes spread to humans via cuts or scratches on hands when in an aquarium where a diseased fish is housed with symptoms only appearing several months after the fish has died..

@Colin_T
@Byron

Can you jump in on this please, this might be something or nothing but the symptomatic side of things and severa damage to the fish sort of lends itself to something along these lines.

I cannot offer anything as I have never encountered these diseases in an aquarium. I will agree that many can be transmuted to humans, not sure if these can.

Completely unimportant but have to let you know anyway - it's not his dorsal fin involved, the dorsal fin is the one on his back. It's the caudal fin being affected here, the tail. :)

Just wanted to stress this part of Colin's advice for you or anyone else who lurks to read the thread and is in a similar boat. If courses of antibiotics haven't worked, if the fish dies or needs to be euthanises because of a severe infection like this where the specific cause is unknown, it's far too risky to use the same tank/substrate/decor/plants and buy another betta and plop them in the same tank.

Steralising and starting over means binning everything that cannot be bleached, so pretty much the entire contents. Wood, stone, most substrates..
The tank itself can be cleaned with bleach, rinsed incredibly well, allowed to air dry, rinsed again with water and triple strength declorinator, rinsed thoroughly, allowed to air dry again. That should be enough to have killed off any bacteria and make the tank safe for use again. Some equipment can be soaked in a bleach solution - buckets, nets, filter and some filter media, like sponges, airline tubing. But a lot of that stuff is cheap and easier/safer to replace rather than trying to steralise if you're not sure how to do it properly. Some plants can survive a bleach dip, but many, especially the more expensive ones, won't, and most wouldn't risk it and bin the plants, substrate etc. Not worth the risk. I'd personally bleach the tank and filter itself, bin the rest and start over.
Methylene Blue is an option but there are a few newer products that might also work. Whatever you do, you need to start asap. The longer it is left without treatment, the more damage that will be done.

@Colin_T Should I order the Methylene blue, or what are the other options you are referring to??

Methylene Blue is an option but there are a few newer products that might also work. Whatever you do, you need to start asap. The longer it is left without treatment, the more damage that will be done.I
I just got seachem paragauard, I was going to start dips today, or just dose the whole tank. What do you think, my plants might die but i would rather save him

Thank you so much for the tag and the vote of confidence! Sadly though, I'm far from a fish expert, let alone in diseases. I just often end up in the emergency threads because I can usually talk someone through an emergency first aid water change and my heart goes out to people having an emergency and I want to help where I can! Which usually just means urging a large water change and tagging @Colin_T for all else, since he really is the disease expert!

Hi OP. I do have to agree though that he's in very rough shape. Can someone link me to whichever product Parguard is, please? When I search I'm only getting results for the birth control device, and lots of US products aren't available in the UK. I don't want to advise trying a med when I don't know what's in it.

@mll6966 I'm sorry that this is happening to your fish, and that the news isn't great. @Colin_T might sound a little cold when he recommends euthanising him, because for you, he's your pet fish with a name and you can't imagine doing it while he's swimming around, but Colin is looking at the damage - look closely again at the progression in the photographs.. it isn't just that he's lost his tail. It has eaten into his body! No matter how active he is, that has to be causing a lot of pain, and the chances of successfully treating it at this late stage, without knowing the precise bacteria that's causing it, are incredibly low. But throwing random antibiotics at him in the hope it might work isn't a solution either, since it means extending his suffering while you try different antibiotic courses in a "hit 'em and hope" approach, and that kind of misuse of antibiotics is why we now have drug resistant bacteria at all, and drug resistant bacteria are killing humans as well as animals. Mis-using antibiotics without knowing what the actual bacteria involved is, in order to save a single pet fish that is unlikely to survive at this point - isn't something we can encourage in good faith for that reason.

So while Colin's bedside manner might be upsetting when you want to save your pet fish, he really is considering how painful that must be for the fish. I winced when I saw how much it had eaten into his body, that's a nasty infection. Had treatment begun back when the lump first appeared and grew in March, or when the tail first began to recede, we'd have a better chance of saving him. But now you can really only follow Colin's advice and try using the methylene blue (can still use it with a blue fish, but it will stain the silicone on your tank) or the broad spectrum non-antibiotic treatment until you can get him to a fish vet. But you need to start that urgently, because despite swimming around, and looking "happy" (we really cannot tell, as humans, if fish are happy" that poor betta is being eaten alive and is suffering.

The aquatic vet isn't likely to operate, more likely to take a scraping and identify which bacteria is involved, so an antibiotic can be chosen that targets the specific bacteria involved. But not many people will or can afford to take a £10 betta to an aquatic vet. So they end up trying random antibiotics hoping that they will work and causing more problems as I wrote above and extending the animal's suffering. If the vet says that he's too far gone and also recommends euthanising, then it would be best to listen to them, I'm sorry.

But this began back in March, he's only just had a second attempt at treatment, and you were reluctant to try a third, so the slowness in reacting/treating is a bit alarming to me... if you want to try to save him (and I completely understand that you can't face the idea of euthanising him yourself) and you truly are willing to take him to the aquatic vets as soon as possible - then you need to get hold of and start treating him with that broad spectrum non-antibiotic or methylene blue immmediately - go to a store to buy it I mean, rather than order it online and wait days for delivery, because the fish is being eaten alive and suffering.

I'm sorry I don't have more optimistic news for you. :(
In march to almost july it was just that little bump, when it got worse I did the first 3 doses of seachem kanaplex, and another round a few weeks after, along with salt. I'm not sure if seach paragaurd is a non antibiotic but I just got that, do you have any recommendations?

In march to almost july it was just that little bump, when it got worse I did the first 3 doses of seachem kanaplex, and another round a few weeks after, along with salt. I'm not sure if seach paragaurd is a non antibiotic but I just got that, do you have any recommendations?

Honestly, my recommendation would be to get some clove oil to euthanise him peacefully. The fish is suffering and beyond saving by this point. I'm sorry.

I just did a paragaurd dip and he loved it, I think he was happiest in a 2-gallon tub than his tank, to be honest. I am just going to dose the tank daily now, I was afraid it would make the water really blue but it didn't so that's
my next plan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back