Betta Fish and community tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

eoco97

Reaction score
Hi!

So Iā€™m new to the hobby and was hoping someone could impart a little fishy knowledge to me.

I currently have a SD Betta and five Neon Tetras in a 45 litre tank. They donā€™t bother each other, and the Betta doesnā€™t seem particularly aggressive towards them. Iā€™m hoping to build on this community tank and was wondering what other fish would be a good match?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

We don't normally recommend bettas are kept with other fish. While it can work in some cases, as some bettas are less aggressive, things can change, and the bettas can turn nasty overnight.

A 45l tank is really too small to build a good community. Is there any chance you could buy a larger tank, leaving the betta in the 45l, and build a community around the neons, if your water is suitable?

I concur with fluttermoth. Please do not keep Betta in a community tank. While it may seem "OK", for a while, it may suddenly change. Only a few weeks ago we had a thread about this occurring, literally overnight, resulting in dead fish.

Bettas often take strong dislikes to various other fish, especially colourful fish like neons. And in reverse, small fish can decide nipping the flowing fins of a Betta is fun. Either way, the fish suffer and lose out.

I once tried a Betta in my community tank. I had to return him within 48 hours as the rest of the fish chased him and tried to nibble his fins.

It just doesn't work I'm afraid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back