Betta - Bellies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meep

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure I've seen a post here with photos that showed healthy vs over-weight Bettas, but I can't find it, can anyone help?

I lost my first Betta, poor Freddie, though he appeared healthy and was happily blowing bubble nests right before we lost him.  Still miss him :(
Several weeks after we've bought a new Betta and I'm perhaps over anxious over his well-being.

Eric is a short finned Betta, he's settled in well but I've noticed he has a little belly and I'm not sure if it's a natural curve or because he's a greedy little sod!  He's in with Glowlight Tetra and Corys and is first in line for the Tetra flakes then plays with the Cory food balancing it and carrying it to the top (or trying to) and nibbling at it.  He's active around the tank and very nosy.

I've gone a day without feeding them and just wanted to see a pic for my peace of mind.

Just remember their stomachs are only as big as one of their eyes so you may be inadvertently overfeeding him.
Mine gets 2-3 soaked betta pellets once a day, the rest of the time he just grazes if he's hungry.

Try soaking the food first for ½hr in tank water then it doesn't swell in their bellies. I do that with my platies' food too.

i only feed mine (same with other fish) 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have planted aquariums so if they are hungry they go for the plants. Personally I think that feeding every day is too much, but everyone has their thing. 

I fast my betta twice a week and I make sure to not over fed him. As Mamashack said their stomachs are only as big as one of their eyes. 

BerryAttack said:
i only feed mine (same with other fish) 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have planted aquariums so if they are hungry they go for the plants. Personally I think that feeding every day is too much, but everyone has their thing. 
I feed my other fish same as you but my betta is still only a juvenile and growing fins so I feed him 6 times a week with a fast day on Tuesdays for now. When he's full grown I'll probably cut him down gradually to 3 times a week like the others. He's in his own tank with just snails and shrimp for company so it's easy to feed him on a different schedule to the others.

Do you have a picture of him Meep?  That would help us in determining if he is a bit on the chunky side VS just in good condition.

I'll try and get a clear picture but I don't have a good camera.

I feed them once a day, don't think I overfeed as I'm careful not to put much in and scoop any uneaten, but thought he might be eating more than his share.  Was thinking of doing a day without food a week because I have heard that it's good for them and there are plants.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back