Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Betta and honey gourami?

Discussion in 'Gouramis and Anabantoids' started by Dylan, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Dylan

Dylan New Member

I have a Betta that is currently living in a 2 gallon bowl. I was wondering if I could move him to my bigger tank (20 gallon) that holds a pair of honey gourami’s. Are they compatible?

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

As a general rule it is best to only keep one species of labyrinth (Betta and gourami) per tank because they are territorial. If you have lots of plants (especially floating plants), you can try them and see how they go. Some Bettas are pleasant and others aren't. Put them together and watch them closely. If they fight then separate them.

3. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thankyou for the advice, o think I’ll just leave them separate for now

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NickAu

NickAu Member
    Tank of the Month Winner!

NO simply NO It just wont work simple as that,

5. Jeremy180

Jeremy180 Member

It is a chancy proposition at best in my opinion, very unlikely to work unless you get lucky and get exceptionally tolerant individuals of both species.
    Even then neither would appreciate the presence of the other, since as mentioned Labrynth fish tend to be especially territorial to in their own family, and Betta splendens being one of the more territorial species in the group.
    Edit: it could also appear to work at first, only for one or the other to without warning decide to declare war.
    For the above reasons, I am adding my recommendation against this arrangement, and in full agreement with your decision to keep them separate.