Best Thermometer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LOL, I always giggle when you lot have 30C temperatures. You bunch of woosies :)
If I ever find the picture I took some years ago, I will show you how hot it gets in Australia. I took a picture of the thermometer in the games room and I'm pretty sure it was well over 40C in the shade and there was an airconditioner blowing cool air through the room.

It gets so hot here the plants start to cook (60+C in the sun). A couple of minutes in that and you die.
My country is 35 and I still think this is too hot, how can you live there???

You get use to the heat if you let your body adapt to it. Most people turn the air conditioner on as soon a the temperature goes into the high 20s and then they struggle with the heat in summer. But if you go without the air conditioner for the first 2 weeks of hot weather, your body adapts to the heat and has less trouble with it.

The same with cold weather. Most people start heating their house as soon as the temperature gets below 20C. Then they need the heater on all winter. If you go without heating for the first few weeks of cold weather, your body adapts and you don't need the heating as much.

When I was living on the street I spent winter wearing a pair of jeans, a T-shirt and a long sleeve shirt. I had thongs (flip flops for the Americans) on my feet. It was cold and unpleasant for the first few weeks but by the middle of winter I was walking around in jeans and a T-shirt when it was 7C and everyone else was rugged up trying to stay warm. When it was 3C it was really cold and my feet felt like they were starting to burn. When it was 14C, it felt hot. :)

For the people in the UK and other cold climates, get a portable airconditioner or evaporative airconditioner and use it to cool the room down with the aquariums in. You don't have to cool it too much but just let it sit in the high 20s C.
Its not the heat as such but that everything is built to retain / conserve it. Often in summer I can get the temp down to low or mid 20s just by opening the windows and doors at night. But so much heat is retained in the wall and ceiling cavities that the minute you close the windows or turn off the aircon it shoots straight back up. And of course the doors and windows are all perfectly sealed. That's why when the temp drops in autumn it can still take several weeks for the house to cool down.

I used to live in a hot and humid climate where everything was designed to keep you cool. The average UK house is far more unpleasant in 30C than the average WA house is in 40C.

@howard_hopkinson
Hey mate,

I bought the Inkbird ITC 307 as per recommendation and great device.

I noted that after a while it always makes a little noise does that happen to you too? Maybe it's when it turns the heater on or something but not sure.

I've set my temp at 26 with variance of 0.3 and AH at 27 and AL at 25. What settings have you got?

Yes, it makes an audible click when it turns the heater on.

My settings are as follows.
Temp 25.6 with a differential of 0.3 degrees.
Cooling differential is also set to 0.3 degrees.
High alarm is set to 26.5 degrees.
Low alarm is set to 24.5 degrees.
PT is set at 0
Calibration is set to -0.8 This may vary with your particular unit.
Temp display is set to celsius.

Last edited:
Yeah online in mentions inkbirds for reptile breeding, breadmaking, seed germination. If you type in "aquarium" you get "aquarium reptile breeding"

I have more problems with getting accurate heaters - I'll take the same thermometer over to each tank and it appears to register correct (it feels correct) but when I set the heater at 78 or 80 degrees I have to set it anywhere from 75-90 to get an 80 degree water temperature - then you worry about the accuracy of your heater. I've bought several good thermometers but lots of (expensive) crappy heaters. I know the head reading depends on where it is placed (I usually put them midway on the side, next to the filter.)

Yeah online in mentions inkbirds for reptile breeding, breadmaking, seed germination. If you type in "aquarium" you get "aquarium reptile breeding"

I have more problems with getting accurate heaters - I'll take the same thermometer over to each tank and it appears to register correct (it feels correct) but when I set the heater at 78 or 80 degrees I have to set it anywhere from 75-90 to get an 80 degree water temperature - then you worry about the accuracy of your heater. I've bought several good thermometers but lots of (expensive) crappy heaters. I know the head reading depends on where it is placed (I usually put them midway on the side, next to the filter.)
What I did was calibrated my inkbird based on two other thermometers i have that both showed the same result.

Now all my thermometers are consistent so am happy with the inkbird.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back