Best Thermometer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

styla12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What thermometer is best for a fish tank?

Currently I have a Marina stick on but not so convinced about its accuracy since it's outside the tank.

Thinking of buying the floating easy to read thermometer (photo attached). Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200326-190831.jpg
    Screenshot_20200326-190831.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 486
I prefer floating glass thermometers like the one in your picture. If you visit a pet shop, look at all the thermometers and get one that has the same temperature as most of the others.

Sometimes they are lined up properly when made and some thermometers will have a different reading to most. Don't get one of the thermometers with a different reading because it will be inaccurate.

I use to use those. They’re OK. Sometimes off a degree or 2. I now use inexpensive digital ones. You can get them like 3 or 6 to a pack. They even come with extra batteries. They last about a year and toss them and get another set. Most of them are pretty accurate.
C5E19071-AA72-4AB2-91A3-BFEDEDB6FFEE.png

My digital has been 1-2 degrees different than my floating one but that is all. I really like them but it is nice to check once in awhile to make sure. My digital is the same model as @Deanasue It is usually right on but it does makes a difference where you have the probe.

Last edited:
I use an Inkbird ITC 308 heating/cooling controller and absolutely love it. I also have a cheap digital thermometer just to check every now and then.

It is very useful indeed. If the heater fails it will let me know. I also have 4 80mm fans connected to the cooling circuit which automatically kicks in if needed.
Oh great idea. Did you stick the thermometer on the wall since it looks pretty big?

I'm worried about having too many wires around the tank

Yes it's hung on the wall above the tank and I can see it clearly from anywhere in the room.
Ah right I see. Might grab one of those actually.

Did you plug the heater into that too then since aquarium heaters normally cut off themselves anyways don't they? Would that cause a double cut off point?

Which model of inkbird do you have? Seems to be plenty out there

The model I have is the ITC 308. It comes with its own temperature probe and 2 sockets, one for heating and one for cooling. I turned my internal Fluval 300watt heater up full and I let the Inkbird do the rest.

The model I have is the ITC 308. It comes with its own temperature probe and 2 sockets, one for heating and one for cooling. I turned my internal Fluval 300watt heater up full and I let the Inkbird do the rest.
Ah right good idea!

Have you got the Fluval 240 too?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back