Best Thermometer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ah right good idea!

Have you got the Fluval 240 too?

Yes mate, you should be able to see what I have in my signature.
Is the Inkbird made for aquariums?

It seems to have a lot of uses where temperature control is important. I am aware that it's popular in the aquarium hobby as well as in the home brewing hobby.

Yes mate, you should be able to see what I have in my signature.

It seems to have a lot of uses where temperature control is important. I am aware that it's popular in the aquarium hobby as well as in the home brewing hobby.
Ah nice I have the same and the same light as you also!

If the alarm was to sound for temperature low have you got a backup heater or what's the best way to fix it quickly? Also what if the temperature goes too high?

Is the alarm loud enough to be heard from upstairs?

Yes, I have a brand new 300watt heater for just such an emergency.

If the temp goes too high, then the cooling automatically kicks in.

I don't know if the alarm could be heard from a different floor because I live in a single floored flat.

I don't know if the alarm could be heard from a different floor because I live in a single floored flat.
Have you had to take the lid off to put the fans in? Thinking I should add fans and get an additional heater too but don't want the lid off.

Ah right nice one. I'll get a spare heater too asap then.

Which fan do you use for such a big tank?

What I did was the following.
1. I removed the back plastic lid and drilled 4 80mm round holes using a hole saw.

2. I then glued some black plastic mesh over the holes to prevent fish from jumping into the fan blades.

3. I the glued the fans in place(they are 2 wire fans) and then wired the up using lengths of cable between them. So, all live wires were connected together and the the negative wires. The resulting 2 wires were then connected to the 12v power supply.

3. All fans were then connected to a suitable 12 volt power supply that was in turn connected to the Inkbird cooling socket.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also use the Inkbirds but can recommend the cheap digital ones. Buy a pack of 3 or 5 and they will probably all be within 0.1 degrees of each other. I have several of these around the house. The portability is really useful when you are doing things like heating water for changes.

I also use the Inkbirds but can recommend the cheap digital ones. Buy a pack of 3 or 5 and they will probably all be within 0.1 degrees of each other. I have several of these around the house. The portability is really useful when you are doing things like heating water for changes.
I'm getting inkbird too now since I'm worried my heater could break one day and I'd never know unless i noted the thermometer.

Great idea getting digital ones for water changes.

I use two heaters in my 55 gallon, one on each side and have a new back up heater just in case one of my smaller tanks has an issue. I use digital thermometers on all my tanks. If I ever talk the wife into a larger thank I will consider a better thermometer.

I use two heaters in my 55 gallon, one on each side and have a new back up heater just in case one of my smaller tanks has an issue. I use digital thermometers on all my tanks.
Guess that resolves the issue of one heater turning off but what if one heater stays on past the heating point and doesn't turn off?

I think in this instance InkBird would be great to cut the electricity in the switch to turn it off.

True I agree, but I have never had that problem in over 30 years so chances are low. Also my largest tank is only 55 gallon and I have only small tetras and shrimp so the cost to benefit equation is not there for now. Until I start stocking larger more expensive fish or get a larger tank, then it would pay. In the past when I had several more tanks going with more expensive fish I would have consider it.

Last edited:
True I agree, but I have never had that problem in over 30 years so chances are low. Also my largest tank is only 55 gallon and I have only small tetras and shrimp so the cost to benefit equation is not there for now. Until I start stock larger more expensive fish or get a larger tank then it would pay. In the past when I had several more tanks going with more expensive fish I would have consider it.
Ah right makes sense.

Mine is 63gallons and my fish are worth over £300 so probably well worth an investment for me.

Ordered a spare heater too as I didn't have any in case my current Fluval 300w heater dies. Do I really need a heater on both side of the tank or do you think one is alright?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back