Best species for a new 38 gal freshwater tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some suggestions for surface fish, if you are interested:

Brown or Diptail Pencilfish (Nannostomus eques)
I have never kept these, but they are pretty unique and interesting (at least I think so). I may add them to my tank when it is ready to be stocked. There are also other species of Pencilfish, some of which are more colorful... just check out their water parameter requirements to make sure they match your water.

Marble or Silver Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus levis) are pretty interesting as well.

Keep in mind, both species are shoaling species, so I would get 6 or more (more always being better) and always try to add all that you intend to keep at the same time. All shoaling fish do better when added in larger groups.

Hi again! My tank is in the process of cycling! :wizard: Here is a photo in the attachments... hope it works I am on my phone. I am planning to add two live plants, Amazon Sword and cryptocoryne wendtii and hope I get some success with them. I definitely need to add some more hiding spots and plants in upper half of the tank.

Do you guys think it would be okay to swap out the Kuhli Loaches for 8 dwarf chain loaches? Been doing more research and it seems the dwarf chains will be more lively and active. But they also will swim up into the middle section of the tank, so I didn’t want the tetras to feel crowded either.

current stocking idea:
- maybe Some pencil fish? Researching them still
- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
-8 dwarf chain loach

Attachments

• E0C9CA63-B8C5-4B27-AA91-E8C0A16BE1B6.jpeg
    E0C9CA63-B8C5-4B27-AA91-E8C0A16BE1B6.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 90
I went back through this thread looking for the tank dimensions. I know it is a 38g but what is the length and width?

Length is 36 inches, width is 12” or 12.5”, height 20”

Length is 36 inches, width is 12” or 12.5”, height 20”

OK, then a group of five or six dwarf chain loaches could work from the perspective of the tank and parameters. I had a group of five in the same sized tank (footprint) for several years.

The upper fish might be OK, but this depends upon the temperament of the loaches. My group have tended to remain hidden for the most part. Yet it is frequently remarked that they spend a lot of time in the upper tank area. Sedate fish can be annoyed (at the least) by this. @seangee has a group and may have more info on this.

The upper fish might be OK, but this depends upon the temperament of the loaches. My group have tended to remain hidden for the most part. Yet it is frequently remarked that they spend a lot of time in the upper tank area. Sedate fish can be annoyed (at the least) by this. @seangee has a group and may have more info on this.
Definitely proceed with caution, and have a backout plan. My group lived in apparent harmony with my glowlight tetras (amongst others) in a community tank for over a year. One morning I got up and every single glowlight had shredded caudal fins. I have no idea why they picked on the glowlights but watching them their pursuit was relentless and I had to rush out and buy a new tank for the loaches. After I moved them out I noticed that my corys were far less inclined to hide. I know you don't mention corys but it does suggest the glowlights weren't their only target.

If you do decide on these I would suggest a group of at least 10. I took the opportunity to up my group size when I moved them and the difference was quite remarkable. Today they live with a large group of neon green rasbora (microdevario kubotai). These are small but very active, almost to the point of being manic, and the combination is working very well.

Thanks for the info! I think I will stay away from these guys then and do the Kuhli or a corydoras species.

Hi it's me again... more stocking questions, hope I am not annoying everyone yet!

Since the dwarf chains seem risky... would a yoyo or zebra loach group work? Or would these guys not get along great sharing the space with a Bolivian Ram? I am also considering corys of some form. What do you guys think would be the best to round out my stocking list? I want to make sure the school of bottom feeders I get can get along with the Ram and BN Pleco fine... and not be crowded.

If any of the loaches or corys I mentioned could work, what size group could I do in my 38 gal? If I did corys, could I mix species together to create one school?

current stocking idea:
- maybe Some pencil fish? Researching them still
- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
- A loach type of cory species

Loaches. No on Yo Yo (Botias almorhae) but Botia striata (assuming this is what you mean by Zebra Loach, there are some othrs with this common name and they would not work at all). A group of five or six, no fewer than five. Another lovely dwarf loach though less commonly seen is Micronemacheilus cruciatus, I had a group of five of these, lovely fish.

Never combine loaches and cories. Loaches will always outcompete them for food. Plus the territorial aspect of most loaches usually leaves cories the losers. Cories would be better than loaches for the upper fish here, though not by much if you stay with the loach species mentioned, they are generally peaceful and not too active to pester sedate fish. Cories in a group of 12-15, one species or mixed, up to you; when combining species try to get 3 -5 of each species but if they only have one or two, they will fit in with other species fine.

Hi again,

I have my finalized stocking list!

- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
-12 cory cats (2 species, 6 of each)

Thanks so much Byron and others for you help finalizing the list. I was wondering, once my tank is cycled, can I stock more than one species at once or would it be better to only do one species at a time? I also have 2 live plants in the tank now, the amazon sword looks like it might have a new leaf growing already. :)

Hi again,

I have my finalized stocking list!

- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco

Thanks so much Byron and others for you help finalizing the list. I was wondering, once my tank is cycled, can I stock more than one species at once or would it be better to only do one species at a time? I also have 2 live plants in the tank now, the amazon sword looks like it might have a new leaf growing already. :)

Try to get some true floating plants and your possible problems adding fish are gone. Add the entire group of a species together. You can add one species, wait a few days, add another, etc, just make sure all of the intended number of each species goes in together.

Hi again!

So I have added my first group of fish to my cycled tank, 14 corycats (peppers and bronze).

Unfortunately when I went to my local shop they told me cardinal tetras are near impossible to get right now, and that cardinals would require higher water temps (80F) than corycats would like. I am keeping my tank about 76F right now.

What would be some other good species to do instead of cardinal tetra?

This was my former stocking plan:
- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco

You can consider the Neon Tetras which prefer cooler temperature than the Cardinal Tetras.

There are a few groups of schooling fish that you can consider:
1)Tetras (Family name Characins)
URL unfurl="true"]http://www.qianhufish.com/fish-catalogue/characins[/URL]

2)Rasboras (family of Cyprinids)
I like species such as Harlequin Rasboras, Hengeli Rasboras.

3)Danios (family of Cyprinids)
They are very active fish. The most beautiful is the Spotted/Gold Ring Danio.

4)Barbs (family of Cyprinids)
Some suitable species are probably Five Banded Barbs, Cherry Barbs.
Note: Tiger Barbs are too aggressive.

Some videos:

Last edited:
Those videos are super helpful, thank you!

So, I am now trying to come up with a few options for my 38 gal. since it seems the options are somewhat limited due to COVID restricting shipping to North America. I have 7 bronze and 7 pepper corys in the tank right now. I have soft, acidic water that I am keeping at 76- 77 degrees F. My tank is 36 inches long, 20 inches high, 12.5 inches wide. Would the below be a few different stocking options? My local shop is saying stocking option A won't work because the cardinal tetra require higher heat than corys.

Stocking Option A:
- 12 Lemon Tetra
-15 Cardinal Tetra (is water temperature an issue for these guys with corys?)
-1 Bolivian Ram
-1 Bristlenose Pleco

Stocking Option B:
-1 Honey Gourami male
-10 Hexazon/Five Banded Barb
- 14 Cherry Barb (1 male per 2 females)
-1 BN Pleco
-14 cory cats I already own (pepper/bronze)
-1 fire red apistogramma (male)

For stocking option B, will the single apisto be okay with corys? Also, will five banded barbs pester the other fish? I was trying to find something with the look of a Tiger Barb but not the super nippy/chasing personality.

My experience with Five Banded Barbs was good.
They are peaceful and they didn't really bother other fish.
The main difference between Barbs and Tetras is the Barbs will move all over the tank inspecting the tank, whereas the Tetras will stay mainly either in the middle or top part of the tank.

I guess your Apistogramma Fire Red is the Agassizii species or full name is Apistogramma Agassizii Fire Red.
Apistogramma stays mostly at the bottom. It won't bother the schooling fish.
It's ok for it to be alone.
If I were you, I will keep a few more species of Apistogrammas such as Cacatuoides Triple Red or Orange Flash, Bitaeniata, Macmasteri or Panduro. (probably another 2 species to give each one 1 square foot of space since yours is a 3 ft tank.)

I haven't kept Corydoras for a long time and I can't remember how the Apistogramma response to the Cory as both are from the bottom level of the tank.
Usually fish from the same level may fight for territory.
Apistogrammas will be the aggressor if it happen.
But probably the Apistogrammas will be ok if there are a few of them. They will be busy picking on each other than the Corydoras. (just my opinion)

Honey Gourami will also move all over the tank. It's ok to be with other fish as it's less aggressive than other species of Gouramis.

I can't comment on the Cherry Barbs as I don't have experience with them other than seeing them at the fish stores.
But I heard that they are quite peaceful.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back