Best species for a new 38 gal freshwater tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Another question that hopefully someone here knows about... can Electric Blue Acara be kept in a community tank like the one I have? I just came across this species in my research and was shocked to repeatedly see it listed as being able to keep one in a 30 gallon tank and that it could be successful with tetras and corys. So of course now I am curious if this fish could be successful in my tank setup/stocking I am describing.

No, short answer. At 5-6 inches, this fish deserves more space, but it also should not be kept with significantly smaller fish like tetras.

Thanks! That's what I was figuring... it did not seem like a very reasonable setup even though multiple articles and videos were claiming it could work.

The Golden Wonder Killifish have big mouth especially when they grow bigger.
They will strike small fish and will eat them.
They are good jumpers. Make sure you cover your tank well.

If you have wide body fish, then they are ok.
And I don't think you can have any fry as they will most likely eat them.

Hey all! So I have been maintaining my tank with my 13 cory cats and have had my juvenile super red BN pleco in for a bit over a week now. The cory cats are constantly spawning, which is interesting to watch and see all the eggs!

Anyway, I am getting some artificial floating plants in tonight, right now my LFS and favorite online shop don't have floating plants in stock. So I am going to add some floating artificial plants for now because I would like to get my Diamond Tetras in soon.

I was wondering, would 10 Diamond Tetra be a good amount for my 38 gallon tank? I was thinking 4 males and 6 females if possible to tell the difference at the LFS. I read that the males can get a bit nippy if there are not enough females, is this true?

Again, this is what my final stocking plan is:

- 3 golden wonder killifish (1 male, 2 female) (top level) <-- I might not do these guys, having a hard time finding consistent information on if they are truly community compatible.
- 10 Diamond Tetra (mid level)
-1 BN Pleco (already in my tank)
-13 cory cats (pepper/bronze) (already in my tank)
-1 fire red apistogramma (male) (bottom level)

Moenkhausia pittieri (Diamond Tetra) should be OK, and ten is as few as I would recommend. I had a group of just over 30 in my 3-foot 33g tank, all of which were fry that had survived over the past couple of years and grew rapidly, and it was quite a sight. Definitely good floating plant cover and the "diamond" common name will be easily understood.

Killifish is not my area, but I do know that many killis are often a bit feisty toward other fish, so research thoroughly from reliable sources.

@Byron, with my stocking plan, would I be able to do more than 10 Diamonds? I'm fine with increasing the school size, I was just concerned it might be a bit crowded in the tank if I did more than 10. And also be a bioload issue.

I have 5 live plants now and do weekly 20 - 25% water changes.

My tank is 38 gallons, 36 inches long, 20 in tall, 12.5 inches wide.

@Byron, with my stocking plan, would I be able to do more than 10 Diamonds? I'm fine with increasing the school size, I was just concerned it might be a bit crowded in the tank if I did more than 10. And also be a bioload issue.

I have 5 live plants now and do weekly 20 - 25% water changes.

My tank is 38 gallons, 36 inches long, 20 in tall, 12.5 inches wide.

I would get 12 Diamonds. Floating plants (if not already). And, increase water change volume. Regardless of fish stocking, every aquarium with any live fish in it should receive a once weekly water change of at least 50%, preferably 60-70%. I have been doing this for over ten years now on all my tanks, and I know the fish are the better for it and that is all that matters. :fish:

If you can get Lyretail Killifish, it will be good as they will stay smaller than the Golden Wonder Killifish.
They are very beautiful in colors but they are more expensive than Golden Wonder Killifish and probably less common in some places.
I have this fish in my community tank.

By the way, take note that the Apistogramma which you mentioned is Apistogramma Agassizii Red Fire. There are many species of Apistogramma.
The most peaceful species is the Apistogramma Borelli Opal.
Having kept both species before, I find that though Agassizi Red Fire color is nice, you may get bored with it after a while.
Though Borelli Opal colors are not so striking but they are unique.
The male Borelli has multi colors with some blue and red on its face and other colors on its body which is more interesting.
Agassizi Red Fire has only reddish orange color which is a man made colors.

Last edited:
If you can get Lyretail Killifish, it will be good as they will stay smaller than the Golden Wonder Killifish.
They are very beautiful in colors but they are more expensive than Golden Wonder Killifish and probably less common in some places.
I have this fish in my community tank.

By the way, take note that the Apistogramma which you mentioned is Apistogramma Agassizii Red Fire. There are many species of Apistogramma.
The most peaceful species is the Apistogramma Borelli Opal.
Having kept both species before, I find that though Agassizi Red Fire color is nice, you may get bored with it after a while.
Though Borelli Opal colors are not so striking but they are unique.
The male Borelli has multi colors with some blue and red on its face and other colors on its body which is more interesting.
Agassizi Red Fire has only reddish orange color which is a man made colors.

Thank you so much for these species videos, definitely going to watch them all and for the apisto/killi tips! Those guys will go in last if I do add them so it’s great to keep learning more options.

I forgot to mention about the Apisogramma Borelli Opal.
Make sure that the shop doesn't give you a wrong species.

I read in a Apistogramma forum where someone was given Apistogramma Blue Steel but the shop labelled it as Apistogramma Borelli.
Apistogramma Blue Steel looks normal only and not special as they have been mass bred in some countries.
In my country, Apistogramma Blue Steel is sold for less than USD 2 each.
So, make sure they don't give you the Apistogramma Blue Steel which isn't really nice though its cheap.

It seems to me that the original colors of the Apistogrammas are nicer than the man made colors(through selective breedings).
Apistogrammas uniqueness are in their special fins, tail shapes and colors.
Borelli is called the umbrella fish due to its fins that look like an umbrella.

Here are some videos and a website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI7Vn-OqTeo

Last edited:
Are the apistos similar to the bolivian ram, in that you have to get a single or a mated pair? Or could I get a male and female from the LFS and they should be able to coexist okay?

Are the apistos similar to the bolivian ram, in that you have to get a single or a mated pair? Or could I get a male and female from the LFS and they should be able to coexist okay?

I guess they are quite similar as both are Cichlid.
But I don't have much experience with Bolivian Rams. Byron will have much experience with Bolivian Rams.

For Apistogrammas, usually they are sold in pairs.
So, you have to buy a pair but they may not necessarily pair up.
At my place, sometimes they will sell a mix of males and females.
I prefer to get all males as they are more beautiful and my tank is a "display tank" not a breeding tank.
Males and males will fight.
But for your 3 feet tank, you can keep 2-3 males. Make sure they are of the same size.

Last edited:
I already have 13 corycats in my tank, will they do okay with two males? Or would it be better to keep it to one?

I already have 13 corycats in my tank, will they do okay with two males? Or would it be better to keep it to one?

The cories are fine. Cichlids should not be kept in multiple species in the same tank, with a few exceptions. And within a species, males are territorial to varying degrees. Females during spawning will easily kill any other female in the tank to protect her eggs/fry. I have had this occur in a 4-foot 70g tank with Apistogramma.

Some Apistogramma species are harem species where one male and two or three or four females are advisable (space has to be sufficient for females to escape attention), some are pair species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back