Before I Seriously Damage A £100 Brand New Filter

Its been tilted umpteen times, I even left it tilted for 30 minutes, its been shaken but each time I do the damn clips fall off, plus there is no more air coming out.

Im not kidding when I say its getting louder each time I try to fix it.
 
SO just given it another shake and hey the clips all fall off and the lid pops open and starts emptying 100+g all over my floor. #### this.
 
take it back minx, its more hassle than its worth, you may have had a dodgy one but i would stick to wat you know.. gee you must be at your wits end and its deffo not worth that


hmmmm nelly... im wondering where to stick that wire :lol:
 
Having sold a hundreds of eheim filters I can dispel a couple of myths I hope.

The classic range are without doubt the most problem free. All other eheim filters feature good quality build but added gimmicks - these fail!

It used to be safe to say that eheim were the best/most reliable external filters but these days others have caught up. There is no higher return rate on Rena XP series or Tetratec filters. The Fluval FX5 is even more reliable than these, probably the most reliable filter you can buy. Its basic design leaves nothing to go wrong.

So don't blame eheim, you just got a bad one by the sound of it.

If the impellor looks fine then its a faulty pole in the filter head - not user servicable.

Send it back to the place you bought it. No reason why they would not give you a refund or replacement.
 
To update, after cleaning up the mess, I call eheim UK rep (number given by retailer) and spoke with a lovely man, Alan, who talked me thru the entire process, he says its impossible if primed correctly to have trapped air in the filter, so anyway, having done exactly what he said to prime it, and oh my god its way easier than you can imagine, all the air comes out, turn in on and..............................its even noiser than before!!!!! I have called him back but he's out so will try again in a moment.

I will now call the retailer, who wont like this, but I want a replacement, in fact frankly my money back.
 
To update, after cleaning up the mess, I call eheim UK rep (number given by retailer) and spoke with a lovely man, Alan, who talked me thru the entire process, he says its impossible if primed correctly to have trapped air in the filter, so anyway, having done exactly what he said to prime it, and oh my god its way easier than you can imagine, all the air comes out, turn in on and..............................its even noiser than before!!!!! I have called him back but he's out so will try again in a moment.

I will now call the retailer, who wont like this, but I want a replacement, in fact frankly my money back.

You have followed the manufacturers guidance and it's still not right! I cannot think of a single reason why they would have a problem refunding or repcaing. The filters broken, the shop will be able to return it themselves.

Please don't be put off the 2217 though, you got a bad one - its not a bad filter at all normally. (although the Rena XP4 is probably better value!)
 
sorry about this minx, was just trying to help you :good:
If you manage to get your monie back have a look into the fx5, but there big so will tell you meausurements if your intrested
 
Alan from Eheim, has just listened to the noise via phone :lol: and agrees there is definatley something wrong with it, so has advised to send back, the ebay seller whom I bought it from, isnt happy about this and I have to call back to speak to the manager, because they say its just the impellor and they want to send a new impellor.

You know when you wish you'd just never bothered doing something..................................
 
To update, as Im sure your all on the edge of your seats with my dilema :rolleyes: The retailer wants me to give it 24/48 hours to let it settle down, if after that it doesnt improve, they say they will replace, as they are certain its not the impellor having gone thru all the parts of it with me. They will replace the top half of the canister, obviously there is nothing wrong with the rest of it as its just a plastic box with media and pipes, so here's to a loud annoying 24 hours.

For anyone whos kept up with this, you have my sympathy :)
 
So to update:

Retailer sent me a new filter head today to replace the one that they think is faulty.

Set it all up, primed properly, turned it on........Oh look a freight train is still running thru my lounge!! Ive even wrapped it in a heavy thick blanket, still noisy!

Gotta assume its suppose to be this way and that the eheim claim of silent running is completely false. Or those that claim it is silent obviously need hearing aids :lol:

Gonna get the FX5, so this will be sold to someone who's deaf or who likes the noise.
 
I'd be concerned about the falling off clips. I don't know the exact design of this filter, but if the clips are falling off that cant be good. Usually the clips clamp the filter together, keeping everything air & water tight.
If that clamping isn't happening, then it is possible the filter is sucking in air, which means no amount of tilting or shaking will make it quiet, as it will just keep on sucking in air.
Saying that I presume you also do not have any kind of airstone / diffusor etc near the inlet of the filter in the tank?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top