The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have an aqueon quiet flow 10 filter, which is suddenly really loud. It stopped working the other day, which has happened once before, so I took out the impeller and cleaned it. The filter started working again, but it was making a lot of noise.
I thought maybe I put it together wrong, so I took it apart again, but everything was the way it should be. After reassembling it again, it's a little quieter, but it's still really loud. It seems to be filtering properly though.
This filter is 5 years old. Is it loud just because it's old? Or is there something else wrong with it?
Thanks!

It’s just old. If you cleaned it and it’s still making lots of noise, it’s old.

I have a similar problem with my Tetra filter.

Should I just buy a new one then? The tank is in a bedroom, so I can't have a filter making a lot of noise in there.

I think it can only be the impeller as that is all that moves, can you get replacement bushes for the impelle or a service kit ?

Should I just buy a new one then? The tank is in a bedroom, so I can't have a filter making a lot of noise in there.
I would personally, they really don’t cost that much. If you have the funds, go ahead. If not, you can suffer through the noise. ;)

I think it can only be the impeller as that is all that moves, can you get replacement bushes for the impelle or a service kit ?
Good idea, but the impeller may cost more than a new filter, that is usually how it is. :dunno:

When my filter starts acting up i do the same thing i do with anything else electrical, i turn it off then back on, i hit it, i yell at it, then i break it and buy a new one.;) Have you tried CTRL ALT Delete???

Okay, I think I'll just buy a new one. Are there any brands you recommend? I need a filter that will fit a 20 gallon tank.

Okay, I think I'll just buy a new one. Are there any brands you recommend? I need a filter that will fit a 20 gallon tank.
I really like the aqua clear series. I love that you can really customize you media with it. I use sponges and ceramic rings, and only use the carbon when medicating. I always go a step up from the tank size. So on my own 20 gal I have the aqua clear 30. Although, I have my eye on the tidal series. A little more expensive, but they have the surface skimmer on them too.

I heard of the aqua clear series. I just didn't know very much about those filters. Do they last you a long time?

I have had mine going into it's 2nd year, but I know a couple people that have kept them for 6 to 8 years. That is also depending on how well you take care of them. I break it down and clean my impeller out once a month, and keep a prefilter sponge on most of my tanks to keep the sand from wearing the parts down. Every two years or so you are supposed to replace one of the rubber seals.

Okay, so I've ordered the aquaclear form amazon and it should be here in 3 days. What would be the best way to switch filters? I have a lot of media in my current filter, so can I just move it all over to the new filter? Or should I run them both for 2 weeks?

Cut your old filter media to fit in the new filter . Remove any carbon within the media if they are inside cartridges. Put a new sponge over the pieces of old media in the filter. That sponge will gradually get seeded with bb. In a few months, you could remove part of the old media if it is in bad shape and add more sponge...don't remove it all at once. Repeat a few month after that if you want to replace more old media. I use the bag of ceramics that comes with the filter. I put it on top of the rest of the media..it helps weight it down and will eventually build up more bb. I would not bother using the bag of carbon that comes with the new filter...just save it if you ever need to remove meds after treating the tank with meds.

I find that it is best to have the aquaclear filter slightly tilted inward toward the water using the leveling device or shimming it. The AC can cause flooding onto your floor if the media gets too clogged but if you tilt it slightly inward the water would go back into the tank. I speak from experience. You should clean the media in tank water every two or three weeks to prevent clogging.

Most reactions

trending

Back