Bargain Fish - Do You Know An Lfs That Does This?

The LFS near me does a buy 5 get 1 (all must be same species) all the time.

They also have a 99cent tank, although it rarely has anything in it. Occasionally some platies or something similarly common.

Swallow Aquatics in Rayleigh near me has a 99p tank ( would have been a 50c tank a while ago :( ) now about a 65c tank.

I got a couple of otto's and a CAE from there when we only went to the fish section to have a look when getting some other bits and pieces (substrate gravel).

StatMan

by me there's a store called Aquarium Adventure and with a $6/year membership you save 25% on all fish and plants and a few times a year they have a 50% off sale

That seems like a good deal if you spend any kind of money in there you would join up, also sounds good for the store as they gain loyalty, is there much local competiton?

StatMan
 
Statman, you got your conversion backward. 99p would be about $1.40 today. No matter, it is still a very nice price for a new fish. I have to agree with RDD1952. I hate those frequent shopper cards and refuse to shop places where all the prices on the shelf are only good if you have one. I have yet to see that scheme in a pet shop but who knows what they will do next.
 
I have yet to see that scheme in a pet shop but who knows what they will do next.
Petsmart and Petco have both had them for several years now. All of Petcos sales of 99 cent tetras are tied to their card. The only time I bought any, I didn't have a card but they were out of registration forms so the cashier just scanned her card for me.
 
One of the LFS's around here do specials on their fish every week or 2. It's a really, really small store though, and they don't have much of a selection, but it's still nice to see. Some of the notable sales I can remember were Corydora Catfish for .99 cents, Common Plec's for 2.99, Betta's for 1.99.

hey wen i bought my first bn at 2.5inches from an lfs it cost me £12.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid £8.95 for a 3" starlight BN nearly 3 yrs ago.


hahah you got ripped off

I'm not sure how much 9 pounds translates to in Canadian dollars, but BN plecs around here are quite expensive compared to some of the prices i've seen listed here. BN Plecs around here range from anywhere between $20-$25 a pop, and that's just for the tiny little baby ones which are like 2 inches...

Apparently they're not particularly easy to find around here, it's actually only been in the last 5-6 months that they've started carrying them on a regular basis. Before that, they'd only get a shipment in every once and awhile.
 
The LFS near me does a buy 5 get 1 (all must be same species) all the time.

Same at my LFS, not necessarily 6 for 5, but usually some sort of 'buy x get y free' on a lot of their fish. They also hold regular '10% off everything' days, and they do a loyalty card which gets you a 10% off voucher whenever you cumulatively spend over £250. :good:

Although it does feel a little worrying to have a loyalty card for a fish shop. Obsessed? Me? Nah... :blush:

already filled 2 loyalty cards since september in maidenhead lol :blush:
i
 
sorry if this is a really dumb question but i keep seeing LFS and dont know what it stands for :huh:

can someone just clear that up for me please x
 
LFS = Local Fish Store. Although I use LFS to mean any fish store, I'm not sure if it's actually meant to refer to specialized fish stores, not bigger chains like Petsmart and Petco.


Our local Petland has half-price on fish every Tuesday.
 
The LFS near me does a buy 5 get 1 (all must be same species) all the time.

Same at my LFS, not necessarily 6 for 5, but usually some sort of 'buy x get y free' on a lot of their fish. They also hold regular '10% off everything' days, and they do a loyalty card which gets you a 10% off voucher whenever you cumulatively spend over £250. :good:

Although it does feel a little worrying to have a loyalty card for a fish shop. Obsessed? Me? Nah... :blush:

Hi RedeyesUK,

I saw you're in Warwickshire & was just wondering where abouts this shop is please? I'm near Oxford & am struggling to find many fish shops in the area.
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Liz
 
One of my LFS has a sort of bargain tank. You get so many ( I think it's around 5 ? ) for a certain amount. But you can't pick the fish you get. They just stick the net in, catch the correct number and that's what you end up with. Not a very wise idea in my opinion as there always seem to be random cichlids in there amongst mollies, guppies and 1-2 individuals of different sorts of tetras ect . What you end up with may be very incompatible for your tank. It seems to be where the last few fish out of every group end up when they need the tank space for some other kind of species.

But that's the way it is there. I simply don't buy anything from that tank.
 
Hi RedeyesUK,

I saw you're in Warwickshire & was just wondering where abouts this shop is please? I'm near Oxford & am struggling to find many fish shops in the area.
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Liz


The shop in question is Sweet Knowle Aquatics, it's a few miles south of Stratford upon Avon. Website is here: http://www.sweetknowleaquatics.co.uk/

It's worth a visit, although Oxford is a bit far! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top