Barefaced Fish Info Lies!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm afraid I just had to share this one with you people as I know you will share my indignation;

Common name: Pangasius Catfish
Size: 8" (20cm) sometimes larger. Habitat: Asia.
Water: temp 22-26oC (68-79oF). pH 6.8-7.0
Diet: flakes, live/frozen foods. Aquarium: Shoaling nervous fish can jump out of tank should be kept with peaceful fish of similar size Rarity rating: Fairly common in the hobby

This mini profile is taken from the website of an LFS near me, I've highlighted the relevant info for those who might not be aware that this fish reaches over 4' in length (130cm) :S

More to the point, what are your most crackingly amazing instances of having someone barefaced lie about something fishy related to your face? I somehow doubt anyone can top this tho :rolleyes:

:lol: better tell the one in the left of this picture that he is too big then since its nearly 14" and only a couple of years old.

post-585-1159106385.jpg

Shop near me has redtailed catfish as "Large growing fish that can reach 2 feet", yes they can, and then another 3 feet on that :lol:

I dont think anyone has ever stood there and blatently lied to me but i've seen and heard some absolutely crap information and advice being given out over the years.

I've seen Mbu puffers 5" long sold as "XL" before. Which, is more than a little incorrect...

db_DSC000311.jpg

18" minimum

there is a store on the net that claimes Fiddler and Redcrab are totaly aquatic. never needing dry land.

Mind you, some of the pangassius genus don't get to more than around 8" in captivity (12" in wild) though I doubt many are actually traded in lfs.

Shop near me is selling 4" RBP as "XXL"...

A Maidenhead aquatics store near me has Syno Multis ( or so they say ). They do have Synos in the tank but look noting like Multis. I did tell the guy that they are'nt Multis but he just shrugged and said they were.

They even had a picture of a true Multi on the tank which again looked nothing like the fish they were selling, no wonder they've been there for months.

Yesterday I witnessed a member of Maidenhead Aquatics sell a green spot puffer to a chap for a 3 foot community tank.

Not that this was bad enough, when I mentioned that they should be brackish, I was told: "your thinking of the OTHER type of Green Spot Puffer. These are totally fresh water".

The customer still took the GSP home......

Steve

I've discovered that my LFS arent all that with the knowledge so I don't really ask them things anymore if ~I find something I like I just come back and ask you guys before I buy it!!!

lol got another i was in PetCity the other day and heard the assistant tell a guy that his Goldfish would only grow to the size of his tank!!!
i presume we will soon see a 36" goldfish! lol

lol got another i was in PetCity the other day and heard the assistant tell a guy that his Goldfish would only grow to the size of his tank!!!
i presume we will soon see a 36" goldfish! lol

Yeah but that's true isn't it? They will die but I thought that their body only grows to their environment. I heard their internal organs carry on growing to full size though and that's what kills the goldfish having his organs growing but his body not :/

Heh, RTC labels are funny. Simiarl to CFC, one shop had a couple of rtc kittnes, label saying 'large growing predatory fish, species tank only. Grows to 3ft, requires 48" tank'. I think the only correct part is 'large growing predatory fish :lol:

You can't expect professional advise from students on minimum wage

Most LFS workers (particularly at weekends) are young, and you really can't expect them to be David Attenborough. They are paid to put fish in bags, after all.

If you want accurate info, from aquarist experts in the store, double the price of your fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the same time, it would be nice if they knew more - but this is unrealistic. We really have to do our own research!

Most aquarium shops have several books either behind the counter or for sale - I suggest anyone seeing things being misold refer the manager/customer/staff to the books.

In my younger days (pre-internet) I always checked through all the books before getting a new fish

I heard their internal organs carry on growing to full size though and that's what kills the goldfish having his organs growing but his body not :/

Well, I just knew that this little gem was going to pop up. Timmy, this is also often repeated, but I have never, ever seen any proof of this given. Nature just does not work that way. A stunted wish will be smaller, be more stressed and therefore more susceptible to disease. But never, ever has anyone ever given me any proof that their organs start bulging out.

If you, or anyone else has proof, please post it. Real proof, not friend-of-a-friend saw it, not I-read-it-on-this-website, not the-guy-at-the-fish-auction-whose-been-breeding-for-722-years-said-it, actual proof. Pictures, and yes I know it is gross, but the best would be someone qualified who did a dissection and knew that the stunted fish's organ were larger than they should have been for its skeleton.

Until proof, this bulging organ myth is the biggest barefaced lie I've come across. It is done merely to scare people into proper care of their fish, and while the ends are good, lying just doesn't seem right. I mean, telling them that a goldfish that should live to be at least 40 will only live a year or so should be proof enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back