Barefaced Fish Info Lies!?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yeah but that's true isn't it? They will die but I thought that their body only grows to their environment. I heard their internal organs carry on growing to full size though and that's what kills the goldfish having his organs growing but his body not :/
No its not fish kept without proper filtration and water changes, ie a goldfish bowl. do not grow well, and will be stunted. thats where the story can from. Goldfish work by the same rules the rest of the fish world do. the availability of food being the only natural control on growth size.

lol got another i was in PetCity the other day and heard the assistant tell a guy that his Goldfish would only grow to the size of his tank!!!
i presume we will soon see a 36" goldfish! lol
And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a perfectly rectangular shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where I work they label comets, shubunkins, and sarassa comets only getting 8 inches and all others( ryukins, orandas, moors) only getting 6 inches. Nice huh. I tried explaing to a woman the other day why she couldnt keep 2 black moors in a 1 gallon, and she proceeded to tell me "well my friend had 3 in a 2 gallon for 2 years before they died", so whan i tried to explain to her that they live to be 25+ so they didnt really live all that long she didnt believe me and bought them anyway. I just wish I could smack those people. :shout:

My lfs has a synodontis species labeled s. longirostrus and reaching 6". It's actually s.longirostris, and reaches around 22". Bit of a size difference.

Ok I dont know all the fancy names on fish but know it is a type of giant cichlid? I think she said - seemed she mentioned "lip" in the name of it. Hes big and dark greyish maybe slight pale blueish but mostly just a big lipped large greyish looking fish.

Anyhow - not sure this shows as a lie but it is VERY upsetting to me and others who go to the only fish store we have in town. This fish is in a tank that he outgrew LONG ago! It's horribly sad. I asked recently why they did not get him a larger tank and she replied that he would die if they tried to move him. She said "you should see how freaked out he gets when we do water change, we get it below here :points about 4 inches down: an he starts thrashing around" DUH! I'd freak out too if i felt my life was in danger! This fish is around or near 2 feet long - at least one foot from bottom belly to top back .... an I'd guess about 2+ inches thick tho it is hard to tell cuz the poor thing can not swim in his tank. Lay him flat 2 times in a row and that is about the tank length.. an as for his hieght from botton belly to top of his back - the tank is not double the size from top to bottom. He's huge!

Well next time i was there a diff worker came in as someone mentioned the poor fish ... she said we cant move him or he'll die and besides we dont have a net large enough.... Say HUH!? Ruuueally now? I said maybe getting a long piece of mesh or something an draping it down under him and up the other side while yall lift his whole body. Nope..... This is sad an I think of him often an wonder what I could do - turn them in? Who to call? It seems cruel to me and shouldnt be legal. I dont even think the guy can turn around in the tank, anytime I've seen him there (past 3+ yrs) he is always facing the same direction. There is no room for anything in his tank, so there he sits a bare tank with water an filter.... not even a background on back to have something to dream about :no:

I can make sense of the danger in moving him - new tank, larger area, stress, blah blah blah, but uhh aint he in danger this way too? I will take my camera next time i go there and get a pic tell them I wanna send it to my mom or something.

Anyhow, thought I'd share this - I could share many horror stories here over the false or just plain lack of info I've been given from people in the pet stores but this is by far the most disturbing to me.

Thanks fer lettin me rant on :(

:S ok got stuck on that last thing that i forgot to post what I had wanted when I 1st started reading - WOW awesome pics in this thread! There is one with a pic of one that says pie pie pie pie under it, what is that? It looks amazing! Yall are makin me ache over here! Let me tell ya - tho I had a few tanks in the past - few yrs ago for a short time then sold due to pregnancy, I've never really gotten hooked on the fish thing like I am now, till recently. VERY funny how this started - .......

Bought our own place recent, shoping for household items, saw a cut little fishbowl that sat on a chinesse looking fish ceramic - really cute but the bowl couldnt be more then 1/4th gallon at best. Thought wow cute, I'll get a tiny goldfish or guppie or something... just so cute. HAHA yeah ok huh!? Well I ended up with a betta named indigo who is now spoiled an in a 10 gallon tank... the big stuff started when...

Got on e-bay, ended up seeing a 65 gallon tall - bought it for $250 tank, stand, hood, lights with overflow setup. Thought cool I can get some large fan tail goldies - it'll look awesome. This was 3 months ago... now

65 gln / 2- 30 gln's / 12 gln / 10 gln / 5.5 gln an still searching for a larger tank on e-bay. An not one goldie in the house!

I think I'm hooked. Yall showing the pics makes me ache for more! LoL

think the best 1 i've had so far is being told that i CAN'T cycle my tank with ammonia :crazy:
told me he had 20+ years experience & he knew better than me. even though i had already cycled a tank that way :shifty: :shifty:
not really been back there since :hey:

OK - This is the slightly comical side of incorrect info.

I was in my LFS and saw a nice Elongatus Mpanga that i wanted for my Mbuna tank but it wasn't labeled/priced so i asked one of the staff how much they wanted for it. The member of staff proceeded to tell me that it was labeled and was in fact an Afra and was £6.

I politely pointed out that it wasn't an Afra and showed him the Afra in the tank. This went back and forth for a while until the guy rather grumpily said "OK then it's an Elongatus and that will be £12" :lol:

The point being, if i'd kept quiet, i'd have paid half price for my fish. Oh well! :hyper:

lol got another i was in PetCity the other day and heard the assistant tell a guy that his Goldfish would only grow to the size of his tank!!!
i presume we will soon see a 36" goldfish! lol
And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a perfectly rectangular shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol you think like me!!

went to a lfs the other day, they had bala sharks labeled up as getting to 12"... fine, not sure if that's exactly right but it's near enough..... good accurate desciption of them too..... all going well so far.......... then recommended tank size 2 foot :S ok so how can anyone in they're right minds read that a fish that's gonna get to 1 foot is fine in a 2 foot tank and say it's fine?!?!??! just stupid!

Common name: Pangasius Catfish
Size: 8" (20cm) sometimes larger. Habitat: Asia.
Water: temp 22-26oC (68-79oF). pH 6.8-7.0
Diet: flakes, live/frozen foods. Aquarium: Shoaling nervous fish can jump out of tank should be kept with peaceful fish of similar size Rarity rating: Fairly common in the hobby
More to the point, what are your most crackingly amazing instances of having someone barefaced lie about something fishy related to your face? I somehow doubt anyone can top this tho :rolleyes:
I'm afriad that this isn't a lie so much as a mistake. Often these kinds of mistakes are made by some college kid working in a petstore(who has much better places to be, mind you), or someone who overviewed the letter from the breeder too fast, or someone who was given incorrect information by an outside. (Which is very commen. I mean books and websites usually contridict eachother, so the seller may just go with the estimate he believes is most accurate) Often times there are dwarf species thar look exactly the same as its full-grown brother. So maybe they could get them mixed up?

I'm just saying that its not fair for you guys to be ragging on petstores for lieing to you, even if they did know they were.

Being told that the inch long SAEs in the lfs 'won't grow much bigger'. Now they're four times bigger, and greedy guzzlers! They earn their keep though, never have to scrub algae off the tank ornaments now.

I've seen Mbu puffers 5" long sold as "XL" before. Which, is more than a little incorrect...

db_DSC000311.jpg

18" minimum

Mate tht fish is absultly gorgous im so jealous ,if tht is yours and you should be damm proud!!!!!!!!

sorry if off topic but it had to be said

miles

I'm afriad that this isn't a lie so much as a mistake. Often these kinds of mistakes are made by some college kid working in a petstore(who has much better places to be, mind you), or someone who overviewed the letter from the breeder too fast, or someone who was given incorrect information by an outside. (Which is very commen. I mean books and websites usually contridict eachother, so the seller may just go with the estimate he believes is most accurate) Often times there are dwarf species thar look exactly the same as its full-grown brother. So maybe they could get them mixed up?

I'm just saying that its not fair for you guys to be ragging on petstores for lieing to you, even if they did know they were.

As a shopworker myself I am fairly understanding of genuine mistakes and know how they can happen with inexperienced staff.

I wouldnt have posted the topic or the information, if it wasnt for the fact that this information is taken from the website of a buisiness in my area that has been running for 3 years now but the information was put there by the manager who claims to have been keeping fish for 23 years now...

Somehow I dont think he made a mistake or misread something...

Most reactions

Back