Baby Assassin Snail Care

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have three adult assassin snails in my 70ltr tank at the moment that I bought about 4-5 months ago to deal with a pest snail problem I was having at the time. Between the snails and large water changes, they done their job, so i'm glad I got them.

This morning, I spotted a baby assassin snail crawling up the glass! I think this is quite good as i'm happy to have a baby assassin snail or two in the tank, however i'd like to know what I should do with it. I have 6 guppy fry in a hatchery tank at the moment in the main tank, so I put the baby snail in there this morning. Is this the correct place for it?

There are a couple of stones and a bit of plant in the hatchery tank, but I guess there's nothing stopping the snail crawling out of the hatchery tank. But i'm also thinking that if I leave the baby snail in the main tank then he'll get vacuumed up when I do a water change/gravel clean with all the pest snail shells and other waste.

I couldn't find much online about care of assassin snails, in fact some comments were that owners didn't want them at all. This is the opposite for me - I am more than happy to have a handful of assassin snails in my tank to keep the pest snails down.

How best should I handle the baby assassin snail just now?

Cheers.

*sighs wistfully*

I remember the day I saw my first baby assassin crawling up the glass. One of my kids told me there was another pest snail that the assassins had missed, I came over, took one look, and said no, that's a baby assassin!

Didn't do anything different. Same old feeding and water changing regime.

18 months later I swapped a bag of 40 assassins for a bag of black sand at my local LFS.

Just leave it in the main tank.

Check your bucket before you tip the water away; I pour the water from my son's Edge, which has a breeding colony of assassins, through a sieve before I throw it out.

Check your bucket before you tip the water away; I pour the water from my son's Edge, which has a breeding colony of assassins, through a sieve before I throw it out.

If it's his tank, he should be doing the water changes.......
whistling.gif

iv just got an egg from mine (pain to spot), i read that they hatch and then bury themselves for a few months, before coming to the surface to hunt, apparently there tiny when they first hatch and we cant spot them easy

Yup, they do really seem to take care of themselves. I have loads of babies and am just waiting for them to be big enough to sell or trade in. :)

paraire how much do you want for the babys? posted, i want small ones, iv got a ton of pest snails mainly small ones

yes they are really tiny
rolleyes.gif
and look just like the parents. I keep various fry and Elder guppies in the shrimp tank that the Assassins are in and havent had a problem. Check your filter, iv seen them hanging out in there
innocent.gif

If it's his tank, he should be doing the water changes.......
whistling.gif
lol; I like doing water changes :)

Plus, he's paranoid about sucking up his shrimps or Endler fry; he does his oscar himself ;)

lol, I don't drive
tongue2.gif

If i did, I'd already be maintaining other people's tanks (for a small fee, of course
tongue2.gif
)

Tsk. Best find a new bucket then.....

Fluttermoth, I'm Truro too, well Marazanvose out in the sticks to be exact, not far though! :)

I'm not in Truro; I have no idea where lock_man got that from!

I'm up in Launceston.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back