Atm's 5.5 Gallon Tank (reef In Progress)

atmmachine816

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Just wondering as I'd like to get a job at my lfs but don't have much expierence in the SW hobby since parents won't let me have another tank. Was wondering if I ever got a questions would you guys be able to help me anwer it. Don't really post here much but sure do enjoy reading all the friendly and informative posts.

thanks, great board the SW is :good:

You probably wont have much trouble with SW questions, 98% of the time the answer to every question is "These are marine fish, the FW's are next door".
And then once they go next door the answer is "The cold water fish are over there", followed by "No, you cant keep goldfish in that tank/bowl" and the finial answer "The tanks are over there".
Then you get to explain about cycling, which makes you feel smart :good:.
Most of the salt water people know exactly what they are looking for and how to look after it, and for the ones that don't know I either ask one of the SW guys in the shop, show them the books or recommend this site for research.

LOL ya but I might have to take care of the tanks, I don't know since the SW person there is going to leave next year probably, moving on in school. Glad to know you guys will help me, currently trying to get to know the owner of the store so I can get hired easily but I gota wait a bit.

Thanks for your guys willingness.

Good luck with the job champ. Im sure there will be many willing to help, including me. :good: We arnt evil, even though those freshies up the top there like to call us the "dark side" of the forum. :lol:

Good luck with the job champ. Im sure there will be many willing to help, including me. :good: We arnt evil, even though those freshies up the top there like to call us the "dark side" of the forum. :lol:

Dark side, lol how about the inspiration side. I wish I could have a saltwater tank but no the parents won't let me and I think 5.5. gallons is too small right?

Anyways yes I'm starting to go to the petstore and talking and I can tell them I have expierence in FW and have a good source for SW along with a basic background when I planned for a tank, thanks to you guys. :good:

Let's say I should have the job no problemo, they'v been asking for help for a year and 5 months, I'v been counting so I can get a job there.

Wow, that's pretty amazing, thanks for that link. I saw that, along with another one online, along with a members one in the sticky. I see it's rather possible to have a 5 gallon or less nano and it sounds like it might be slightly cheaper but more time consuming because you don't have to have the extra stuff?

Hmm, maybe you guys can help me plan mine price permitting. My aunt and I are going to spend Monday at the lfs's and I might be able to visit the SW store that claims it's the biggest in my state, my friend says it's pretty cool and the guy that owns it sells used stuff so I could get cheaper stuff used. So my biggest question will be what equipment will I need. I'm assuming you guys will ask me it somewhat depends on what I want to keep correct? Well I'd like to be able to add all the corals, frags etc. but depending on the price of the lights here I don't know if I can start with that, might have to upgrade. Basically I will have to buy everything except the tank. So I'm gona need....

1. lights, don't know the type but I"m going to need a 16" fixture, maximum 20", if 20" I'll need to build some sort of stand for it, and I'll have to have a glass versa-top hopefully that won't matter because my dad doesn't like open top tanks, too much evaporation

2. Airhead I'm assuimg http://www.aquariumsystems.com/pumps.htm would the bottom one here work, kinda like the guys has. Or do I need something else

3. Do I need a filter, I saw on here in the members nano's a member had an aquaclear

4. no protein skimmer I'm assuming, too small to fit one and weekly water changes will keep it clear

5. test kit http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...ermastertestkit along with that other thing that measures the salinity I think of the water

6. what type of substrate, it looked like the pico tank had no substrate

7. will a elite 25w hob heater be ok, because I have that now

8. anything else, I'm reading and seeing what else I can find.

thanks a lot

have you looked at ski's 5.5 gallon Skis nano

1. For lighting a easy diy is to buy some clip on sockets and reflectors (you can get them at HD or Lows for about $2.99) and some marine spectrum pc bulbs ( 20 watt pc 50/50 bulb $15 )
How many clip on bulbs and sockets depends on what corals you want.

2. A Maxi jet 400 has 110 gph and is a good size for a 5.5.

3. if you have a small HOB then use it but it is not needed.

4. No skimmer just water changes

5. I use seachem so i dont know about the ones in your link. :blush: :dunno:

6. substrate, Bare bottom or sand about 1- 1/2 inch deep

7. :dunno: about a HOB heater

As for price with LR and CUC you could do it for $100 -$150

Thanks, no I didn't see ski's didn't know he had one. Will read it though will take me awhile LOL

1. For lighting that could be interesting. I have both those stores by me and I'v seen those bulbs be me too, though how would I put those over my tank and is it easy to do?

2. I could work with that :good:

3. So the hob filter isn't necessary. I currently have a elite hush 5 hob filter with 68 gph I think it is but is a bit noisy and might return it giving me 10 in-store credit, so if a hob filter would help I could get one easy

4. ok that's what I though, would I need to use ro/distilled water or would treating my water be ok

5. ok maybe somebody else will know, I use the fW test kit's by them and pleased with the results

6. Is there any advantage to the two and does it matter what type of sand

7. Ok, I could get a submergible one but would rather just keep my hob and save the money, but I'll need one because it gets cold here

8. 100-150$ :sick: I thought I would only need maybe 5lbs of live rock so maybe 50$, but what's CUC, is that what drives up the cost

9. What about the hydrometer things

sorry for the questions, still new to SW

Lets see
about $30 LR
Clean up crew(Cuc) snails and crabs $10
lights $30 to $40
test kits $15
salt $10
other stuff $15 - $20

In all around $124
And yes you should use ro water from your lfs
About the heater i have never heard of a HOB heater (I never did freshies)

OK :good: thanks for that, I have enough money hoorah :fun: thanks to the winter storm 145$ for shoveling for like 9 hours. Finished reading ski's journal, I think I'll stick with just a regular hood. Will probably get a 12" hood, put it on legs and stick it over my tank because 16" hoods don't really exist. For the lights I might just get a cheaper hood that's not too strong and just do the live rock and fish only and then save up for some stronger lights to grow the corals etc.

Clean up crew and live rock I think I will buy later, though maybe the live rock. First I have to get the equipment and I'm going to take my time, want to get everything right

HOB heater is simply it hangs on the back of the tank, they work the same as submergible as far as I'm aware of, just cheaper.

The price is good, I think I can convince my parents to let me set this one up, they didn't like me getting a new 10 gallon so a existing tank should be ok :good:

thanks for the help and the link

Most reactions

Back