Aquarium glass with crack on glass what to do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A glass patch is simply a piece of glass that you use to put over the scratch.

You will need to visit a glass shop (somewhere that sells glass or glass products like windows). Do a google search for glass suppliers in your area.

If you can't find anything, ask your local pet shop if they can get a piece of glass in. However, the pet shop will be more expensive than a glass company.

Are you able to remove half of the water to reduce the ambient pressure? Wishing you the best of luck!

A 5 yr old is old enough to understand the implications of his actions. I would have a LONG discussion with him about what he has done. There should also be some serious repercussions after what he did - take away TV time, snacks etc - whatever would be a serious punishment but won't drive you mad - so no treats for a week might be a good one, no TV and he'll be so bored he'll be intent on getting into the aquarium. I would not laugh it off but be concerned that my child is out of control - and find out how he did it - is he dragging chairs over to it? He could knock over the entire thing, kill the fish and seriously injure himself. As a mom (but I have a girl) I would have had ZERO tolerance for what he did. He needs to know these are living creatures and he could have killed them all and if that tank breaks he will have killed them all. Frankly I've only known one 5 yr old that had zero respect for animal (he killed some kittens), he ended up in prison when he grew up (served his time, came out a different man and is a hard working guy and loving father now) - if his grandparents (they were raising them) had actually given him some structure when he was 5 he probably wouldn't have become such a problem child and had to wait until prison to get some structure and discipline in his life. Torturing animals as a child is the greatest predictor of sociopathic behavior as an adult.

An alternative to a small piece of 'patch' glass...
If I had a serious crack in a tank I would measure the full inside dimensions of the pane and get a piece pf window glass cut. Most big box stores will cut glass for free! Obviously you need to tear the tank down and clean the pane with the crack really well. Then with the dry tank, I'd carefully remove the old silicone on the inside and clean the seam area with alcohol. I'd clean the new window glass really well as smudges inside will last forever! I'd lay a bead of silicone all around inside the sides and bottom (top optional) and carefully place place the new window glass inside and press into the fresh silicone. Then seal the pane in with silicone (now that I think about it, I just might reseal the entire tank (but that's a bit more prep work). In any case, adding a pane of window glass is easier than replacing the pane and will look better than a patch.

A 5 yr old is old enough to understand the implications of his actions. I would have a LONG discussion with him about what he has done. There should also be some serious repercussions after what he did - take away TV time, snacks etc - whatever would be a serious punishment but won't drive you mad - so no treats for a week might be a good one, no TV and he'll be so bored he'll be intent on getting into the aquarium. I would not laugh it off but be concerned that my child is out of control - and find out how he did it - is he dragging chairs over to it? He could knock over the entire thing, kill the fish and seriously injure himself. As a mom (but I have a girl) I would have had ZERO tolerance for what he did. He needs to know these are living creatures and he could have killed them all and if that tank breaks he will have killed them all. Frankly I've only known one 5 yr old that had zero respect for animal (he killed some kittens), he ended up in prison when he grew up (served his time, came out a different man and is a hard working guy and loving father now) - if his grandparents (they were raising them) had actually given him some structure when he was 5 he probably wouldn't have become such a problem child and had to wait until prison to get some structure and discipline in his life. Torturing animals as a child is the greatest predictor of sociopathic behavior as an adult.
My 5 year old hasn’t killed any pets he has two old cats and loves them dearly feeds them every morning before school.
He knows the rules and the rules are no kindle.
He knows he done wrong just need to have structure placed from that event. No touching the fish tank.

My 5 year old hasn’t killed any pets he has two old cats and loves them dearly feeds them every morning before school.
He knows the rules and the rules are no kindle.
He knows he done wrong just need to have structure placed from that event. No touching the fish tank.
I suggest what @Colin_T said. It’s much easier than @AbbeysDad method.

That's why I said turn the tank around so the scratch is on the back.

There's no need to panic for this issue because it's only a scratch and not a crack right through the glass. A patch will work fine.

That's why I said turn the tank around so the scratch is on the back.

There's no need to panic for this issue because it's only a scratch and not a crack right through the glass. A patch will work fine.
It works, just a silicone blob on the back wall....but each to his own.

It works, just a silicone blob on the back wall....but each to his own.
But lets back up....if it's just a scratch (and I think it is) I'd give the child a stern talking to. If it's a crack, then a whopping! LOL <KIDDING>
Seriously, if it's just a scratch, I'd leave it alone. If it's a true CRACK, I'd patch it as I described....Same as @Colin_T, just a bigger 'patch'. :)

You stated what I thought! Good for you. Sometimes the truth can seem harsh and inappropriate especially when it comes to someone else’s children or their parenting skills. But this doesn’t make it any less true. I glad the Kid didn’t kill the fish or himself...

The problem with a simple patch is there will be a glob of silicone where the patch is. Not so attractive for a display tank. What I suggested is a little more work, but all you'll ever see is the fine line of the original crack.
If you turn the tank around, like @Colin_T suggested, you wouldn’t be able to see the patch. Especially if you put some tall plants (Ex, Anacharis, Amazon Swords, etc.) in the back, covering the patch.

The method you suggested would cost a lot of money and take more work/time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back