Aquaclear 110 Vs. Rena Xp3

P&J

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking for a filter for a 75 gal, and I'm comparing the AquaClear 100 (hang on back) with the Rena xP2 or xP3 (canister). As far as price is concerned, I can get the HOB for about half the cost of the canister filters. Judging from the stats below, it seems to actually have more flow and be plenty capable. It even seems to have a "canister-style" space for filter media. On the other hand, I've always heard that canisters are "better" for larger tanks. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-P

Hagen AquaClear 110 (about $60)
Aquarium Size: 60-110 Gallons
Maximum Output: 500 GPH
Full Flow Control: 166 GPH
Power Consumption: 14 W

FilStar xP2 (about $120)
Aquarium Size: 75 Gallons
Output: 300 GPH
Power Consumption: 16W

FilStar xP3 (about $140)
Aquarium Size: 175 Gallons
Output: 350 GPH
Power Consumption: 19W

Where can you get an AquaClear 110 for $60?

If waterdrop comes through, or someone else that has a little more experience than me, they can give you a good right-up about the two.

But, there are many different things between HOB filters, and canister filters like stated above.

-FHM

You are going to compare a canister and a hang on the back? That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well, yes, because I'm shopping for a new filter. I understand they have differences, but why wouldn't I compare them? Isn't that how you end up with the best one for the situation?

-P

Where can you get an AquaClear 110 for $60?

If waterdrop comes through, or someone else that has a little more experience than me, they can give you a good right-up about the two.

But, there are many different things between HOB filters, and canister filters like stated above.

-FHM

I haven't done extensive shopping yet, but the first 2 results on ebay for an AquaClear 110 are $53.99 and $54.99. Not sure about shipping, but $60 is a nice rough estimate.

-P

Aquaclears are awesome filters they have the same media options as canisters and great flow rates. The canister has much more surface area. most canister hold 1 gal of water. More area equals more filtering power because you have more bactira and more stuff for your water to have to filter throw. For that size tank a canister would be best.

That's how I see it I could be wrong. But the canister filters are used for large tanks for a reason.

I run both hob and a canister on my tank, so I have experience with both. I have an aquaclear 70 and a marineland magnum 350. They are totally different animals. They are both great filters. I have had the canister for several years. It has worked perfectly. The aquaclear is new on this tank, but I have been using them for years as well.

Both filters have media options and great flow rates. I wouldn't say one is better than the others as they both have strengths in different areas.

Aquaclears are awesome filters they have the same media options as canisters and great flow rates. The canister has much more surface area. most canister hold 1 gal of water. More area equals more filtering power because you have more bactira and more stuff for your water to have to filter throw. For that size tank a canister would be best.

That's how I see it I could be wrong. But the canister filters are used for large tanks for a reason.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about surface area, I was more focused on flow rate. That makes a lot of sense though.

-P

I run both hob and a canister on my tank, so I have experience with both. I have an aquaclear 70 and a marineland magnum 350. They are totally different animals. They are both great filters. I have had the canister for several years. It has worked perfectly. The aquaclear is new on this tank, but I have been using them for years as well.

Both filters have media options and great flow rates. I wouldn't say one is better than the others as they both have strengths in different areas.

Thanks! I'm curious, though, as to the benefit of running two filters, rather than one that's simply larger. Is it a water-flow issue? I assume water circulation is greater with two filters. Second question: multiple people have mentioned that HOBs and canisters have their own strengths, but no one has expanded on them. What are those strengths that I should be considering? Thanks!

-P

Canisters are generally better at bio filtration, hob's at mechanical filtration. The benefit to running one of each is that you can set each one up oriented towards its strengths. This is something I generally do on larger free standing tanks, my oscar tank is a good example. 72 gallon bowfront, single oscar, AC70 & Eheim 2215. The AC is sponges & floss, the Eheim is bio media.

On bigger thanks, I used to run BOTH AquaClear and Eheim canisters. Eheim was mainly focused on doing biological filtration while AquaClears were using sponges and floss to do mechanical filtration. I like AC because of ease of maintenance. With this setup, I can clean AC frequently without having to worry about cleaning the canister as often.

But if I had to choose between HOB and canister, I would always go with the canister.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back