Aqua One Mini Skim 80

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

372xp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Went to price up for a tank I am going to set up (aqua nano 40) and was looking for a skimmer for it. I wanted the kent 120 but they didnt stock it. I was pointed in the direction of the aqua one mini skim 80. This is a new piece of kit only recently developed for this tank(apparently).
I have no idea if its any good or not. Anyone had any experience with one?

Are you meaning the little one at the bottom of this page?

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/nanoskim.php

If so, it looks like it's air-driven, which unfortunately means it would be minimally useful for nutrient removal even on such a small tank. It would accomplish some nutrient removal, but nowhere near the amount of a more powerful skimmer. I have used air-driven skimmers plenty on small tanks, but they work mainly for helping with coarser debris removal (e.g. if there are lots of digging animals throwing silty crud into the water). I've also used them to help with ink removal from angry sea hares, but the usefulness of them for that compared to just extra activated carbon is probably questionable. If all you're looking for is just silty gunk removal then you'll probably be fine. However, if you are aiming to go from something like 20ppm nitrates to near 0 nitrates, then you'd probably need something quite a bit stronger than a little air-driven skimmer or to go the rout most go and just step up water changes more.

thanks Donya, I was thinking of just doing one change a week like I do on my fresh water tanks. Would the kent 120 be a better bet?

I can't seem to find any details on the kent 120. Got a link?

Hi, I have two of the Kent skimmers that I have had to bin so don't waste your money! reason being they become unbearably noisy after a short time and are very difficult to clean, I have since bought a Boyu this is the one I have http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-BOYU-Mini-Aquarium-Marine-Fish-Tank-Internal-Hang-On-Protein-Skimmer-308-310-/190759575896?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2c6a282158 much cheaper than the kent and imo better! though I'm confused by the link showing the aqua one nano skim as it says air driven and then has a pic of the boyu underneath lol! I know they say you get what you pay for but haven't always found this to be the case, I have had very cheap chinese heaters outlive my more expensive UK ones more than once!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
got the miniskim 80 and its been up and running 2 weeks now. it seems quiet enough and as all i have is live rock and cuc in the tank it is hard to tell how good it is. what i will say is considering it was developed for the aquanano 40 it doesn't actuakly fit in it that well, only just with a bit of tweaking. that and the instructions verge on useless unless you have prior knowledge of skimmers, i didnt.

Hey there,

I have just got myself an Aqua Nano 40, and thinking of going marine.

How badly & where did the miniskim 80 fit?

I am a total marine noob so I have no idea what a good or a bad skimmer is. So all suggestions for a skimmer for a 55L nano setup welcome.

Cheers
Ant

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back