Anyone W/plott Hound Insights Or Tips? Bought One Feb 8

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ohphew, a happy ending................just read the thread all the way through :good:

Don't think I have ever seen a dog like that here in the UK. Excuse my ignorance but what is a Coon?

Seffie x

:fishh:

raccoon :)

or it could be used in terms of a coon hound. I'm guessing primarily used to track raccoons and stuff.

yes racoon, they are mainly used to tree game and keep it treed they were bred because the fox hounds would often head right a tree but wouldn't circle around it and the game would climb down the back side of it and escape.

I'm glad he is okay! I know very little about Coon Hounds, but what I read said that they originated in the frotier of the US. They were bread by trappers and stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My type Originated in the Carolina's, I believe. Somewhere in that area of the states. was brought over in the 1750's, was line bred, and it became an AKC breed in 1947 (I believe). Great tracking and family dog. Mine will be a family dog.

He's grown noticably since last week. :D I mentioned it to my hubby and he said he noticed it to. He may be a giant :hyper: Would love to post some new pics, but I think something's wrong w/my camera. It keeps draining batteries like no other. Even new fully charged batteries. Multiple times too!! Crazy....time for a new camera :shifty:

We're trying to figure out what to name him. Right now I'm thinking Beau (Bo), or Cain.

I would go with Beau, my first coon hound was named Boone, havn't figured out what I would name another one yet.

I wouldn't name him Cain. That is the name of one of the most eavil people in Christian history, he commited the first murder. Beau is a good name.

I wouldn't name him Cain. That is the name of one of the most eavil people in Christian history, he commited the first murder. Beau is a good name.
wow. Didn't know that. Was originally thinking of a power name. Something sounding strong and manly. :flex: Hope the hubby doesn't get jealous. Of course he knows he'll always be my main man :D

I like the name Beau only because it reminds me of my Boone, my wife thought it was funny that since I had a hound that I should name it something redneck

I talked with the kids and they like Beau. Hubby insists his name should be chewy -_-

His name is Beau. He has an appt this Friday for his last set of shots. After this, he's good for a year. I'll be able to take him out and show him around soon. I'm excited to get him on the leash outside of the house ^_^

I'm trying to figure out if he needs large breed puppy food or just regular puppy food. I've read he could be anywhere from 55ish to 70ish lbs. I don't know how big his parents were so that doesn't help. hmmmm I'll definitely ask the vet this Friday to see what her opinion is. What do you guys/gals think?

Kj

p.s. I have a hilarious picture of him. My kids have a foam chair that he was sleeping on. Well, he's getting to big for it already and ended up w/his butt and back legs on the chair, his front legs on the floor and his head on an orange Dora the Explorer van sitting next to the chair. I'll post it later. I'm surprised my camera even turned on. I'm having issues w/it. It usually shuts off right away. If I can get it working tomorrow, I'll post the pics.

When I took him to the vet on 2-10 he weighed 7 lbs. I just weighed him now and got 10 lbs. Could he really have gained 3lbs in 2 weeks?? :unsure:

A bigger breed will gain 3 pounds in 2 weeks, no problem. Here's a really good site that reviews many different dog foods; http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I've got my two guys on Orijen puppy, the younger guy is 10 months old, the older is a year & 10 months.

Grain free is a real big thing with your better diets. The breeder I got my guys from was real adamant about this, one of many reasons I chose to go with her.

Thank for the info Tolak. I'll read through it and see what's available locally.

Here's more photos :D

The one of Beau sleeping funny :lol:

100_4797.jpg

100_4790.jpg

Getting Peewee(my cat)
100_4791.jpg

Preparing to attack Foxy

100_4793.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back