Anyone W/plott Hound Insights Or Tips? Bought One Feb 8

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kj23502

lazy dayz
Reaction score
plotthound.jpg

This is the type of dog. 7 week old plott hound. When we look at him head on he almost looks like a pitt-bull cross. I don't know enough about the breed and what the puppies look like. We're on a 24 hour trial to make sure our existing dog, Foxy, gets along w/him ok. She's been wonderful with him so far. It's only been a couple hours, but not even a growl from her and she wags her tail when she sniffs him. He's from a rescue/adoption center and came in from an unwanted litter.

I've read that these dogs are used to track large and small game from racoons to bears. Can get up to 65lbs (I guess males can get that big). He's sleeping in a small puppy crate right now. He peed all over my front on the way home... :lol: I didn't mind :wub: I took him outside in our fenced back yard to be sure he didn't have to do #2 also. I brought him in and crated him while I changed my clothes and came back to find him sleeping already :shout: My kids were ready to play w/him, but he continued to sleep even w/the kids talking and wondering around the house.

So does anyone else have anything to say about this breed?

Thanks in advance. :good:

Oh and he's getting a bath when he wakes up. :fun: :hyper:

And this is our first dog, Foxy:

aug07tonov07027.jpg

And then our cat, Peewee

147.jpg

He's been around the cat already and didn't give chase....yet :unsure:

plotthound.jpg

This is the dog. 7 week old plott hound. When we look at him head on he almost looks like a pitt-bull cross. I don't know enough about the breed and what the puppies look like. We're on a 24 hour trial to make sure our existing dog, Foxy, gets along w/him ok. She's been wonderful with him so far. It's only been a couple hours, but not even a growl from her and she wags her tail when she sniffs him. He's from a rescue/adoption center and came in from an unwanted litter.

I've read that these dogs are used to track large and small game from racoons to bears. Can get up to 65lbs (I guess males can get that big). He's sleeping in a small puppy crate right now. He peed all over my front on the way home... :lol: I didn't mind :wub: I took him outside in our fenced back yard to be sure he didn't have to do #2 also. I brought him in and crated him while I changed my clothes and came back to find him sleeping already :shout: My kids were ready to play w/him, but he continued to sleep even w/the kids talking and wondering around the house.

So does anyone else have anything to say about this breed?

Thanks in advance. :good:

Oh and he's getting a bath when he wakes up. :fun: :hyper:

And this is our first dog, Foxy:

aug07tonov07027.jpg

And then our cat, Peewee

147.jpg

He's been around the cat already and didn't give chase....yet :unsure:

lots and lots and lots of exercise so it gets tired every day! especially as it matures into an adult. hounds need to walk (a lot..not just play which is also important) and use their nose. and pits are high energy too (if he is indeed a mix)...my pit gets a 3 mile walk a day. lots of walking and exercising gets their energy out and helps eliminate MANY potential behavioral problems (separation anxiety, chewing things up when you're not home, etc.). that pup certainly is cute. i wouldnt be able to resist either :)

Thanks. Our orginal dog Foxy is a shetland sheepdog and golden retriever mix. She has a lot of energy too :)

We plan on crate training. We did for foxy and after awhile she didn't need it anymore and has had free roam of the main level of the house since a few months after we adopted her. She was almost a year old when we got her. This pup is only 7 weeks.

I can't say much about hounds, I've always had terriers. I know juanveldez is into hounds, a quick pm to him might get you some info.

I can't say enough about properly crate training a dog. My two guys are crate trained, as were the terriers before them. They don't really need the crates, but they like their crates, sort of like their own room, so they will probably remain a permanent fixture.

Ben's quote in your sig says it all, here is so much info online now, take advantage of that. A 7 week old pup will sleep a lot, while 7 weeks is rather young to take a pup from it's littermates, having another dog will help with any socialization skills it may otherwise miss out on.

Google NILIF, this is the basis for so many dog training methods.

Happy new pup, post more pics! :good:

Thanks, Tolak. I read a couple sites before we went to look at the puppies(so I did prepare somewhat). And there were only 2 pups left out of the whole litter. They were just brought in to the shelter last week. I know they were pulled from mom a bit early. I suppose since the people didn't want the litter, they wanted them out ASAP. I did ask the staff if they had more info about the breed and they said I could take him home for the trial while I read up on it.

He does sleep alot. He's back in his crate, again. Walked in there all by himself and layed down on his blanket. Had a bath a few hours ago. He's really quite funny. Foxy will come up sniffing him and he starts jumping/hopping up in the air like he's going to start wrestling her. She did growl at him once. He wouldn't quit grabbing her tail so I don't blame her for getting upset with him.

Here's a great video on YouTube w/lots of pictures of a guy's Plott hounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEi9aM9QlI

Been reading like mad... inbetween catching him for potty breaks :lol:

Walking into his crate on his own is a rally good sign. So many people misuse crates, used properly they are one of the best training tools around. You want the dog to like his crate, tossing a treat in there, even if it is a couple of pieces of dog kibble, will get them used to knowing their crate is a great place. My guys go into their crate on their own, often both into one crate to nap together.

Foxy is teaching the pup acceptable behavior, another good thing. My older guy Kaz taught the younger guy Gus very well. Understand sometimes the older dog will seem to be a bit harsh, this is the way dogs work. Pups will bite tails, faces, legs, whatever is available. The older dog will let the pup know when a line has been crossed.

Walking into his crate on his own is a rally good sign. So many people misuse crates, used properly they are one of the best training tools around. You want the dog to like his crate, tossing a treat in there, even if it is a couple of pieces of dog kibble, will get them used to knowing their crate is a great place. My guys go into their crate on their own, often both into one crate to nap together.

Thanks for the good info. :good:

Foxy is teaching the pup acceptable behavior, another good thing. My older guy Kaz taught the younger guy Gus very well. Understand sometimes the older dog will seem to be a bit harsh, this is the way dogs work. Pups will bite tails, faces, legs, whatever is available. The older dog will let the pup know when a line has been crossed.
I figured that's what she's doing and that's why I wasn't upset by it or worried. :)

100_4772.jpg

100_4771.jpg

100_4777.jpg

He is sooo cute!! I love him!! Now that he's sleeping and my other kids are sleeping I'm reading up on training a puppy. We haven't trained in 4 years.

---edit--
Baahhhh....i don't do videos a whole lot so it takes a few tries to figure out which code for me to use....

Let me know if it works or not.

My 4 yr old daughter is in the video. My 18 mo. old son is in bed and my 6 yr old son is finishing his bedtime snack. (for those of ya that know I have 3 kids...and now the others know too),

Thanks guppy fan.

Last night wasn't to bad. Actually we better than I expected. We crated him and set a radio next to the crate. He woke us up only 3 times. I came down and let him outside. He pooed one of the times. Not to bad considering it was his first night away from his last littermate. Looks like we're keeping him.

Foxy continues to keep him in check. When he starts chewing on us or objects he's not supposed to, I grab a chew toy and slip it in his mouth. That's good at distracting him so far.

oh i want him... so cute. and your kids too. is the 1st pic the same dog? or did the white patch developed later?

is the 1st pic the same dog? or did the white patch developed later?
The rescue center just took a representative picture, I think. I had saved that from their website. The pups all look similar except for the white...lol :) The later pics are of mine specifically.

Last night was awesome. He only whined a tid bit shortly after going into his crate and then he was quiet the rest of the night :yahoo: As soon as I heard him (at 5:30) this morning, I took him outside and he did his business. He's good about going right away when I take him out. I suppose having foxy to show him helps too :good:

We have to do really careful and meaningful training w/him as the breed has the potential for males to get up to 65lbs. Can't have a dog that big jumping on someone :crazy: or our young kids :no:

Plott hounds are very active as are most coon hound breeds. they are mainly used to hunt bear, cougar, and large game like that. with that being said they can be a bit aggressive, but then again most coon hound breeds can be. the father of my first black and tan pinned me in a corner of the kitchen until my friend told him to back down. after that he was good with me. also you need to start training early and be very firm hounds are hard headed mine listens to me very well but we have butted heads more than once. these attributes also make them good watch dogs nobody walks near my house knocks on the door or rings the bell with out her barking like mad, more than one person has been scared off simply by her barking at them through the door.

the biggest thing to remember unless you plan on keeping it outside all the time is to make sure it gets LOTS of running and exercise otherwise you might find your house rearranged they also get very jumpy if they don't get exercise due to the weather mine doesn't get out a lot and its driving her crazy but her training keeps it to a minimum. just remember keep the training going and like I said you may have to be heavy handed. I don't even let mine eat unless I tell her to and watch how much they eat, hounds like to eat more than what they should my current black and tan gets one cup of kibble a day to keep her weight in check.

Thank you!! :D That's what I was searching for. I feel it's good to get tips from people that have owned similar breeds as that's where some of the best information comes from.

The guard dog style really appeals to me. Foxy barks like mad when people walk on the sidewalk in front of the house too. When we're not home she goes ape-s*&t. We saw it just once. We were pulling up in the van when the mail lady was dropping off the mail. The mail drop is on a little jutted out entry-way on the side of the house in front of a window. Foxy was litterally pressed sideways against the window and acting like a mad dog that wanted to tear the person apart. That was crazy. We've never seen her in that state before that or since then. The mail lady says she does it when we aren't home. When we are home she's more laid back, probably more of a warning bark to let us know. Foxy is ok with people coming over. We take her camping and stuff too. That should be interesting this year.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back