The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JustinGatCat

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So I noticed recently that one of my angelfish hasn't exactly been growing. I have 3 angelfish, I got them all at the same time, all were about the size of a thumb. Now two of them are about palm sized, except the one I'm concerned about. He's still roughly the size of my thumb, and while the other two have already started growing the long, beautiful trails on their pectoral and caudal fins, the little guy still has his small, noticbly short fins. He also hides a lot. He prefers to hunker down in a large plastic bamboo plant in the tank. The other two are constantly at the front of the tank. The thing is, they're all eating healthily and readily. I feed them a mixed diet of Aqueon Tropical pellets, freezed dried baby shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. All of their colors are full and beautiful, water parameters are normal, and nobody picks on anybody. I just find it odd how two are growing rapidly, and one has barely grown at all, despite all of them looking healthy and happy?

Tank size and parameters, other information.
Maybe he is stunted? that's what im leaning towards.

Hey everyone!
So I noticed recently that one of my angelfish hasn't exactly been growing. I have 3 angelfish, I got them all at the same time, all were about the size of a thumb. Now two of them are about palm sized, except the one I'm concerned about. He's still roughly the size of my thumb, and while the other two have already started growing the long, beautiful trails on their pectoral and caudal fins, the little guy still has his small, noticbly short fins. He also hides a lot. He prefers to hunker down in a large plastic bamboo plant in the tank. The other two are constantly at the front of the tank. The thing is, they're all eating healthily and readily. I feed them a mixed diet of Aqueon Tropical pellets, freezed dried baby shrimp, and frozen bloodworms. All of their colors are full and beautiful, water parameters are normal, and nobody picks on anybody. I just find it odd how two are growing rapidly, and one has barely grown at all, despite all of them looking healthy and happy?

The small one is probably not getting as much food as the other two Which is normal for Cichlids. Another reason could be that the two bigger ones have paired off. Which would be a reason why the smaller one is hiding all the time. How big is your tank? I'm thinking if you add another two angles it might help bring the smaller one out, safety I numbers and all that. But that's only if you're tank can house another two, comfortably.

The small one is probably not getting as much food as the other two Which is normal for Cichlids. Another reason could be that the two bigger ones have paired off. Which would be a reason why the smaller one is hiding all the time. How big is your tank? I'm thinking if you add another two angles it might help bring the smaller one out, safety I numbers and all that. But that's only if you're tank can house another two, comfortably.
I definitely wish I could add more angels, but my tank is only a 29. Now, that is small for angels, but I have been moving a lot and my current residence couldn't support the 72 Gallon aquarium they were in originally. Like I said, all are hearty eaters. They actually eat in separate parts of the tank, my two big ones eat on one side, and the smaller one on the other. Even when they are together, the smaller one is able to muscle in. He has been chased by one of the larger ones, but not excessively or aggressively.

You might not be seeing much active aggression, but the low level stress from what sounds like a true pair, could well be affecting the smaller angel. I'd be inclined to suggest you rehome it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back