Angelfish disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So about 3 weeks ago I got a blue zebra angel and he was tiny. Was doing fine for a few days and randomly he was dead one day. I had 2 other juvenile angels but one was double his size and the other was about 3x as big. None of them were picking on him. I have dwarf neon rainbows, rummy nose tetras, kribensis, and ebjd as a grow out in that tank. Nothing attacked this fish. Ebjd has been fine and never had any aggression with these fish. Fast forward about 2 weeks and my 2 angels had very bad ich. Iā€™m talking covering their bodies. This came after my bigger angel was lethargic and didnā€™t eat for 3 days. It recovered but obviously wasnā€™t happy as it had bad bad bad ich. So the black one who Iā€™ve had for 4 months now and who is my favorite fish I have, died yesterday. This made me really sad and Iā€™m going to bury him outside. The first thing I did was test the water and 0 ammonia and nitrites and 10-20 nitrates. Iā€™m still sad but today my other angel was looking lethargic. He ended up dying. Could that blue zebra angel have passed something to my others? It has to be some sort of angelfish disease as I have way for fragile fish in that tank who are going great. My thought is that the blue angel gave my other 2 a disease. I went to the store and they had 20+ of these angels. I went less than an hour before closing. They were opened for the whole next day. I called on the next day they were opened and they didnā€™t have any left? A little suspicious as they ā€œsoldā€ 20+ of them and my angel died. I think it was a bad batch and they had some sort of disease. Iā€™m furious. My favorite fish died and 2 other beautiful angles died. Iā€™m mad at myself bc I shouldā€™ve quarantined but Iā€™ve never had trouble with angels and this store is well known.

We need pictures please. Sorry for your loss...

It is possible the new angelfish introduced something that killed it fairly quickly and then infected other fish. However, this is not the only explanation. The fact that the other fish youhave had for a time contracted ich within two weeks is indicative that they were severely stressed. Fish that are not under stress can easily fight off ich. Stress is the reason they contract it (the pathogen is obviously present). Stress is the direct cause of 90%of all fish disease in aquarium fish.

Your inappropriate combination of fish species has been explained in earlier threads. What you must try to understand is that stress does not need to b physically evident (nipping, chasing, bullying, etc). These fish like the JD are releasing phermones and allomones which other fish read, and they can be aggressive in nature. The fact that we as aquarists do not "see" something does not mean it is not there.

Introducing anew young angelfish into the existing two or three is also almost guaranteed to cause trouble. You just cannot do it. Please try to understand that there is a problem in this tank.

It is possible the new angelfish introduced something that killed it fairly quickly and then infected other fish. However, this is not the only explanation. The fact that the other fish youhave had for a time contracted ich within two weeks is indicative that they were severely stressed. Fish that are not under stress can easily fight off ich. Stress is the reason they contract it (the pathogen is obviously present). Stress is the direct cause of 90%of all fish disease in aquarium fish.

Your inappropriate combination of fish species has been explained in earlier threads. What you must try to understand is that stress does not need to b physically evident (nipping, chasing, bullying, etc). These fish like the JD are releasing phermones and allomones which other fish read, and they can be aggressive in nature. The fact that we as aquarists do not "see" something does not mean it is not there.

Introducing anew young angelfish into the existing two or three is also almost guaranteed to cause trouble. You just cannot do it. Please try to understand that there is a problem in this tank.
I understand. It doesnā€™t make sense to me how they were fine for 3 months?? Have you ever kept a ebjd? Literal community fish as they have been bred into the ground for the electric trait

They deadā€¦
Wasnā€™t aware of that fact.

As @Byron stated:
Your inappropriate combination of fish species has been explained in earlier threads. What you must try to understand is that stress does not need to b physically evident (nipping, chasing, bullying, etc).
Before you get more fish, you need to do extensive research.

Jack Dempsey cichlids are not community fish. They grow to 10-12 inches and kill things.

re: the angelfish. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is wrong.. Clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

If the angelfish still have white spot, increase the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels.

Jack Dempsey cichlids are not community fish. They grow to 10-12 inches and kill things.

re: the angelfish.
But this is an electric blue. It hasnā€™t grown at all in the 3 months Iā€™ve had it. Itā€™s been bred so deep itā€™s not aggressive. Have yā€™all ever kept one? Mine is chilllllll. Heā€™s with rummy nose tetras and he could easily eat one if he tried

I had one. Took it back to the store when it started killing fish 4 times its own size - including my angels. Hence my comment that I suspected the EBJD in your other thread.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back