Angelfish disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Is it an electric blue Jack Dempsey or an electric blue acara?
The blue acara only gets to about 5 inches, the Jack Dempsey will grow and eat things.

You can inbreed fish all you like but Jack Dempseys are predators and you can't breed that out of them.

Is it an electric blue Jack Dempsey or an electric blue acara?
The blue acara only gets to about 5 inches, the Jack Dempsey will grow and eat things.

You can inbreed fish all you like but Jack Dempseys are predators and you can't breed that out of them.
Jack Dempsey. Trust me he isnā€™t aggressive. 2 stores that know what they are talking about have said that they are bred so far down the rabbit hole that they arenā€™t like regular jd. thereā€™s things also take YEARS to get 8 inches

Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe they have a slow growing peaceful strain but I think it's more likely to be a shonky sales ploy.

Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe they have a slow growing peaceful strain but I think it's more likely to be a shonky sales ploy.
No trust me many people have said they grow extremely slow. They are also not like regular jds either

Jack Dempsey. Trust me he isnā€™t aggressive. 2 stores that know what they are talking about have said that they are bred so far down the rabbit hole that they arenā€™t like regular jd. thereā€™s things also take YEARS to get 8 inches

This is just not scientifically true. Each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years and the traits are programmed into the DNA. Until you can somehow re-program the DNA of a species, you are not going to alter its traits and behaviours, nor its requirements for "x" water, etc, etc, etc. That is scientific truth.

It is possible to breed fish to heighten a trait, such as has been done with the Betta splendens. But the trait was already in the DNA. What these people are suggesting to you is that someone has managed to remove the DNA strand and alter it. Not done.

It is also true that deliberately denying a fish the expected factors it considers essential to its survival can weaken the fish, and different fish can respond to this with increased aggression or withdrawal. But we are talking individual fish of a species, not the entire species.

And a few posts back you mentioned the fish being "OK" for 3 months...that is irrelevant too. Fish are the way they are as a species because that is how they are designed and programmed. Environmental issues can affect how fish respond to this or that, but it cannot change the inherent trait.

This is just not scientifically true. Each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years and the traits are programmed into the DNA. Until you can somehow re-program the DNA of a species, you are not going to alter its traits and behaviours, nor its requirements for "x" water, etc, etc, etc. That is scientific truth.

It is possible to breed fish to heighten a trait, such as has been done with the Betta splendens. But the trait was already in the DNA. What these people are suggesting to you is that someone has managed to remove the DNA strand and alter it. Not done.

It is also true that deliberately denying a fish the expected factors it considers essential to its survival can weaken the fish, and different fish can respond to this with increased aggression or withdrawal. But we are talking individual fish of a species, not the entire species.
True but they donā€™t have that instinct. I know they arenā€™t ā€œcommunityā€ fish as they get way too big but my fish isnā€™t aggressive at all. Like I said he could easily go after a tetra or a kribensis who takes up the same spaces of the tank. I never said their dna was stripped I was saying how the fish may have adapted? Not sure of the science but these fish are no where near as aggressive as regular jd

Most reactions

trending

Back