Angel fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JAYJT

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there people
I have a community tank its fishy contents is listed below, I really like the look of angel fish but have never had one due to hearing so many things about them, like they attack other fish ( from people I know who have kept them) But I got a book for x mas and it states “ they are easy to keep, peaceful and non destructive fish.) But it also states that a well planted tank is required…..Any thoughts on this??? As I would love to get one as I think they look great. My tank is not well planted with only a few real plants but loads of plastic plants.

Thanks for the help.

You could keep 2 or 3 small 2" Angels, they will eventually need all the space in your 70L tank, and probably more. They have a bad rep for eating neons, but I've never witnessed this myself.

You will know when an angel means to kill, he will angle sideways and stick out all fins, then dart in a circular motion. If you see this, its time to move out the tetras.
Angels are territorial, they will claim a 70L tank as their own so if you do want to keep larger angels with tetras, you will need at least a 3 to 4 ft tank.

They are peaceful in their own territories but will chase any intruders out quickly.
Fish that live moslty around the bottom of the tank like dwarf cichlids and Kribensis make good tank mates as the angels will patrol the higher levels of the tank and pretty much ignore anything going on below them if it doesnt involve food.

As for plants, Angels love long thin and wide leaved plants like Vallis and Echinodorus. You can see the patterns on wild or silver angels reflects the fact that they live among the reeds in their natural habitat. They also spawn on long leaved plants in the wild but domestic angels may ignore them and spawn anywhere with a vertical surface, even the glass.

Ken

Ken has given you lots of excellent information on angelfish. However, I would not recommend that you put any angels in a tank your size. As Ken mentioned, they will soon need a much larger tank. I wouldn't keep a pair of angels in anything less than 33 gallons (120+ litres); if kept in too small of a tank, they will be permanently stunted and even sometimes deformed.

Cheers guys thats what i thought,some books i have read do and dont make sense. Its better to hear from the people in the know thanks again, looks like no angels for me unless i talk round my wife into getting a massive tank! ill start working on her now! :D

I made a funny assumption when I saw your tank was 70L, I just assumed it was a Juwel tank :D . I have one of these and it is taller than an average 70L tank, and I think it would be suitable to breed a pair on Angels in this type of tank (it is 46cm tall if I remember correctly). Any smaller than this and I wouldnt add angels.

Ken

Yes Ken its a jewel tank and yes that size is right, so you think it would be ok? I dunno now, dont want to get them if its too small i will just wait untill i get a larger tank. :unsure:

If you are absolutely sure you are getting a bigger tank, then it would be ok to add 3 small angels, no bigger than 2" long excluding tails. They will need at least a 200L tank within a year.
If you wanted a breeding pair of angels, they would need the whole 70L to themselves, the 15" height of your aquarium is just room enough for a middle aged Angel.

Ken

Hi JAYJT :)

Since you already have gouramis in the tank, it might be better to wait before you get angels. -_-

I've heard a lot about angel fish picking on the gouramis. If you do get them, be prepared to move one or the other if there is a conflict. :/

the only thing that an angel fish will do is probably eat your neons because they are that small. :grr: :grr:

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure that angels eat neons. Its their natural diet in the wild. So, neons means no angels.

P.T.

i wanted angels for my 3fter.... but i also wanted barbs... its a no no :(

so i stuck with the barbs..

i was also told (dunno if its true or not) that u cant have angels with most fish guppies ect.... or anything with long finnage

Dawn xx

looks like defenatly NO angels for me :(
Not untill i invest in a new tank anyway, nevermind......I thought this would be the case i only asked due to reading a few posts that people had angels in with smaller community fish, maybe they are baby angels and will soon cause trouble when they get bigger :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers people much appreicated ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back