Ammonia spikes with new sand - please help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK, so in addition to the established bio-filters, I also have driftwood from established tanks. Shouldn't those surfaces help?

Also, I use an RO system for my tank water. How often should I be doing water changes to cycle this tank, in your opinion?
If you are in the midst of a fishless cycle, no need to change the water...just follow the directions here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Add NO other chemicals to the tank, besides ammonia (to dechlorinated water) per the directions in the link above

I don't think you need to do water changes, that is only for fish-in cycles to keep them alive.
Once cycled, you change all the water to remove nitrates before adding fish.

The ammo-lock is also unnecessary (possibly obstructive to cycling??) without fish.

I agree on both points. If the bio media were established in the filter it must've somehow been destroyed. You're starting cycling from scratch.

Tank is cycled and has perfect levels! I started with a gang of danios so far. there are two loaches in there also that I know I will probably never see. LOL!

Thanks all for the help!!
IMG_7161.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back