Altums - My First Attempt At A Biotope.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oh yes, huge difference in price! I understand the attraction.

I love Altums so much!! I just wish they were easier to keep!!

I was a sucker for them and was encouraged to import them several times running about 5 years ago and no wonder they died.. tap water is 8.4 here! Ro system was 7.5 evem straight from RO unit! Way too high and ashamed to know now (I hadn't had my own fish before and been in hobby 6 months... please forgive me!) wasn't even testing beyond the obvious ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph! Two lots of altums later and one lot of altums that were actually really odd looking scalare...

I got in a third lot and again... lost most...

But added JBL Tourmec (peat) to filter on an Osaka tank and a huge bit of bogwood... tank was lovely, planted with vallis in a wall and amazon swords and twisty tree roots... sand substrates etc.. got ph down to about 5.8-6 at the cost of a blackwater tank... got in so much trouble! Apparently blackwater display tanks aren't acceptable!! But despite the agro.... I maintained 4 out of the 6 altums for a year and they grew fast and were in such good condition by the time I had to leave, I made sure they went to discus supplier and he dod well by them as far as I knew whilst in contact.

Was always pleased they did ok, now I am just horrified at what I did and amazed at my success!! TTA you put a lot of people to shame with your dedication to 'getting it just right'!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry to hear about the knee! Hope it heals quickly.
TwoTankAmin said:
 I need a good week full time to get this tank set up.
sad.png
Is that after you finally get all the working equipment in or can you set it up without?

The process is:
1. OxiClean soak and then super rinse.
2. 3D background must be cut down and the three pieces siliconed in place on the back glass and to each other. This is the hardest part.
3. A few rocks and some wood is needed but the sand and much of the wood I have.
4. 2 XP3 canister set up and plumbed.
5. Sand put in.
6. Custom work done on manzanita and then it goes in- some will be screwed into the bracing at the top so it comes down from above.
7. Geos and one more top level swimmer selected and found. Rummy nose school is down to 25 and should be 40-50.
8. Tanks gets cycled so it can act as Q for the other new fish.
9. Altums, contradens then go in and its mostly done.

Where are the tanked guys when you need them?
tongue2.gif

10 Minimal lighting will get added from fixyures i currently have and the 3 way digital monitor installed.

The tanked guys are in Las Vegas, but they seem to do more marine than fresh.

Well I got the bad news from the bone doc yesterday. This project is on hold. I need to reduce activity and stay on meds to fix problem A witt the one so they can then repair the torn meniscus. So everything fishy is now on hold save trying to keep up with, maint. So this project is somewhere between super slow-motion and stasis for now.

I sent back the second 6 in 1 meter and got my money back. I am trying to bite the bullet and get this one. With the needed EC/TDS probe cleaning kit it will be close to 3 times what the ones I sent back did. But there are a ton of goodreviews. Interestingly enough, It is a comapny in NZ that makes them. For the curious this is the Co. http://www.getbluelab.com/About+Us.html and this it the meter:

Bluelab-GuardianMonitor-WEB.jpg

And this is their web page for it http://www.getbluelab.com/shop/Bluelab+Guardian+Monitor.html

I am wondering if there are some reef designed meters that might work for your tank. You really are trying to measure similar attributes. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-monitors-controllers.html. Prices on some are pretty good and they are tried and true from use on reef tanks.

Sorry to hear the medical issues are still bugging you.

Aye, hope the meniscus gets sorted soon.

Bit the bullet- ordered the Guardian. It is made in NZ. So it isn't a piece of Chinese "carp".

Probably a wise choice.

Sorry to hear about your knee problems, hope everything gets back on track soon!

Ty to all the well wishers. The knee is just one of those things. It is an annoyance but not a real threat. If it looks good in 3 more weeks then they will do the arthroscopic repair. the doc says its 4-6 weeks to full recovery. My bro had it done years back and was able to walk up 8 floors for his first follow up visit 2 weeks later.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back