All The Way From Thailand! - They Are Here!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

which I assume to be Eggersi Redd???
You are correct in your assumptions (N. eggersi male)

will still be fine when I'm ready to put 'em in water.
Should be depending on humidity and dampness of peat. Although it has been reported that annual eggs can be kept well past their normal due hatching date, I wouldn't leave it more than a month or two past to wet the peat.

just out of interest here Ludwig, what is your secondary foods for feeding after BS. Nothos like copious amounts of Livefood.
Regards
C

[just out of interest here Ludwig, what is your secondary foods for feeding after BS. Nothos like copious amounts of Livefood.
Regards
C

Well Colin... They have not really been on anything else than BS... (on (very) odd occassions, I feed crushed flakes), but for some reason... (I think because there is already some algea in my 14 year old seawater)... I have extremely good hatching rates of BS and they last up to 5 days (having grown some by that time) per each setup.... They eagerly take to the flakes as much as they do to the BS....

Ok Then... Further assumptions is that this little fella must then be Eggersi Blue (unless it is Rachovii???... The males are going to be easy.... I'm worried about the female ID's... and then also.... will they interbreed??? (which of course... I do not want).
Convictsbreeding041.jpg

Eggersi Blue...not Rachovi
You dont want to mix the females as they will be almost impossible to distinguish which belongs to which species.
The reason I advocate livefoods over flake for Nothos is that although they will to a point accept flake (if nothing else is available) they will not put on any great body weight as (IMHO) yours are now displaying. This is a constructive criticism Lud and should be taken as that.
Have a hunt around the garden if you dont culture your own livefood. A night light will catch you all manner of flying insects. Ants, your bound to have ants, mossie larvae must be found in local pools etc. Get into culturing your own foods such as fruitfly and the likes.
Regards
C

You dont want to mix the females

They were actually bought as a mixture of the 3 species... (maybe hence the price of $1 per batch of 100)... So, wether I like it or not.... some seperation of females will ultimately be necessary. :lol:

You dont want to mix the females

They were actually bought as a mixture of the 3 species... (maybe hence the price of $1 per batch of 100)... So, wether I like it or not.... some seperation of females will ultimately be necessary. :lol:

i too am getitng some ludvig do you have any tips advice when growing the eggs thanks darren

i too am getitng some ludvig do you have any tips advice when growing the eggs thanks darren

If you want expert advice, then just do what BigC suggests.... but, if I can give some tips.... (as a novice)... Put up a batch of Brine shrimp for hatching at least 8 hours prior to putting your eggs in water.... maintain a clean tank, do regular water changes (30% per day)... separate the fast growing fry regularly....You should have (about) 40% success during your first trial.... It is not as difficult as it sounds.... and then... the biggest mistake I've made was to purchase a batch of mixed species.... Next time I'll buy one species at a time.

thanks ludvig can u answer me this?, when will fry be ready to move to a bigger tank and are they able to keep in a normal tamk set up ie community tank when they are ready?

thanks ludvig can u answer me this?, when will fry be ready to move to a bigger tank and are they able to keep in a normal tamk set up ie community tank when they are ready?

Nope.... I am ready to move my "fry" (almost adults) for the 4th time, and they are not yet ready to go into a community setup.... (note:... every time I move them.... I move a different group... mainly because of the varying growth rate... I might move a group of the same size to a new tank, but then a week later the remaining group may have fry the size of the biggest group and in the biggest group... some may have been outgrown... if you get the picture... so they rotate all the time.

are you just keeping a tank specifically for killifish? also ive got 100 eggs coming how many should i hatch at a time?

Well now!!... That is a sad ending to this chapter.... Let's start from scratch!!

Well now!!... That is a sad ending to this chapter.... Let's start from scratch!!

Ehh, what has happened?

Seffie x
Being on holiday, I did a water change to all of my tanks in the fishroom yesterday… On completion, everyone seemed happy, so I gave them one (“last”) feeding before closing up for the night (about 21h00)… They all looked cheerful and eating as usual then..

This morning (08h00)…. Absolute havoc…. All my Swordtails… Dead (15)… Most of my Guppies dead (40)… All my (Thailand) Killis in the one tank dead (60) (still have about 40 of the smaller ones that survived in another tank)…. Most of my Zebra Danios dead (12)… My male Kribensis dead (1)… Some of my Commet Goldfish dead (4)… My new (Thailand) hatchlings, which I put up for hatching the previous night Dead (200).

Only ones inside the fishroom (unaffected) were the blond Guppies and the Orange Chromides…. It appears (from doing enquiries) that work was done on a main water supply line yesterday….I dunno what went wrong. (Fortunately, all the fish in my outside ponds were unaffected)… I gave them a water change the night before.

OMG that is just terrible, all those fish, you must be feeling awful, i'm so sorry Lud

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back