All The Way From Thailand! - They Are Here!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, I also now realise that this is not only the easiest way, but the only way I can get new fish in my tanks with the nearest pet stores from (where I'm living) a 600km round trip... makes more sense to buy these "Instant" fish (as Inchworm calls them) than doing the tedious driving thing...

With this lot now (suddenly) growing faster, and a reserve of 200 eggs in the wardrobe... I have a lot to keep me busy for some time...

Even if I just hatch and rear, these fish are not available in SA, so I'll be able to set a price to make it worth my while delivering to these bigger centres.

Well, I also now realise that this is not only the easiest way, but the only way I can get new fish in my tanks with the nearest pet stores from (where I'm living) a 600km round trip... makes more sense to buy these "Instant" fish (as Inchworm calls them) than doing the tedious driving thing...

With this lot now (suddenly) growing faster, and a reserve of 200 eggs in the wardrobe... I have a lot to keep me busy for some time...

Even if I just hatch and rear, these fish are not available in SA, so I'll be able to set a price to make it worth my while delivering to these bigger centres.

Edit:... Actually... it's hillarious thinking that it is easier for me to get fish from 10,000 miles away than 300km.... :lol:

I have now moved 60 of them across to this tank... The slower growers in the original tank all seems to have a darker colour.... I'm assuming those must be the Rachovii and these (faster growers) are probably the Eggersi Red and Eggersi Blues...

I dunno if they will interbreed, but I'll seperate them to species specific tanks once I can make out what they are. (there are still at least 40 of 'em left in the original tank). and as I said... the 200 eggs still in storage, will be placed in water around 16th June 2010.
BabyKillies040.jpg

BabyKillies066.jpg

I now have a total of 80 fry in the "fast Growers' tank and even amoungst these, I now need to do some more separating... I assume this will finally be the males and the females getting separated....

Ultimately though... I cannot guarantee that I did in fact receive the 100 eggs per batch (and I'm sure neither can the people sending it)... but on average, I wonder what the expected rearing rate for theoretically 300 eggs would be.... I've done (roughly) 33% and I'm happy with that.

I also wonder what the ratio between the 3 species would turn out to be... That will only be determined once they're all grown out...

One thing that bothers though... is placing the right females with the right males at the end of the day... I think this may get confusing.

Ludwig,
When you placed your order to Thailand, did they send you some cysts to hatch as food. (they usually do)
If they did was it Artemia (salt-water) or Branchinella/Streptocephalus species (freshwater)
Regards
C

Ludwig,
When you placed your order to Thailand, did they send you some cysts to hatch as food. (they usually do)
If they did was it Artemia (salt-water) or Branchinella/Streptocephalus species (freshwater)
Regards
C

Saltwater, with a small packet of salt... but obviously only for the first feeding... I realise now that 20,000 artemia eggs does not go far...

Ah that's OK,
I was looking for Branchinella/Streptocephalus species (freshwater)
which is why I asked
Regards
C

Now I still have 200 eggs in my wardrobe and their "hatch by" date is tomorrow..... Do I leave them for some more, or do I place them in water?.... (my last batch went more than 2 weeks past their date before I received them, & they hatched ok)

You don't need to hatch them on the exact date Ludwig, it is only a guideline diapause time-scale for the species in question.
Annual killifish cannot be tied down to exact times only approximates. In the wild if the rains come early or late or perhaps not at all this ensures that the species does not die out and become extinct.
Regards
C

The first Identifyable one is a Rachovii.... The Eggersi reds & blues are still a bit mixed to distinguish their exact species... Hopefully in another week I'll be able to ID all of the males at least... The females are going to be more of a challenge though.

I have moved 23 of the biggest fry into a newly setup tank and all rhe remaining (65) back to their original hatching tank.... The bigger ones are being weaned off Brine shrimp and progressively being given ordinary fine flakes. The other lot are still on (2 x per day) live brine shrimp.

(Sorry for rambling on here, but this also serves as my Killi Diary which I can refer to when I do subsequent batches)

This is where I'm at (atm)... seems like most the fry is of this type, which I assume to be Eggersi Redd???
Blondies1033.jpg

I still have those 200eggs in the wardrobe, which I have no time to hatch yet (work pressure), so I only hope that being almost 3 weeks past their date, will still be fine when I'm ready to put 'em in water.

Most reactions

trending

Back