All Male Peacock Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

njstockley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All

I put my Rio 180 into the classifieds last night but having second thoughts. I'm going to be getting a 4ft tank (probably this one - hold off on reviews for the moment) and using it for a large apisto community.

If I was to keep the Rio 180, would it be possible to use as an all male peacock tank? Or would it be a bit on the small side? Dimensions are 100x40x50cm so short of the 4ft I would assume is necessary. But, if usable then how many peacocks would be ok for stocking?

Or if I was to use the Rio 180 as the apisto tank, and the new tank for male peacocks, then what numbers could I stock in there?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

if you made a all male peacock tank , well its like dumping 2 siamese fighting fish together :\

if you made a all male peacock tank , well its like dumping 2 siamese fighting fish together :\

Not true at all, if you do an all male tank then you obviously pick males that look nothing alike. There is no reason why you cant have a peaceful all male tank.

Not true at all, if you do an all male tank then you obviously pick males that look nothing alike. There is no reason why you cant have a peaceful all male tank.

True, just have to choose your species wisely, Otherwise you could have 2 or 3 males colored up and the other's left in a drab dull color(been sub dom males). Your tank could be a little small for some peacock species too.

Red Betta read some books mate! numpty!

I ran an all male similar sized tank for a long time no issue!

what i did was only stock fully coloured males and add 3 at a time one of each type so as to reduce new fish getting all the attention! wont be cheap to do as coloured males can fetch a fair bit of money but well worth it!

i used very little rock an kept it in big chunks

Id go for one of each or you could do a big group of one or two types which works well to

aulonocara

benga or maleri
maulana
firefish
calico
blue neon
lwanda
ngara
lemonjake or hongi

then add a few haps like

otopharynx lithobates

copadichromis mloto lapingu

proto t reef

otopharynx tetrastigma

placidochromis mdoka whitelips

Red Betta read some books mate! numpty!

good.gif
Couldn't have said it better myself...I wish people either read the right books or used Google a bit more before posting on here!! So much easy accessible info but so many people seemingly trying to ignore it!

I ran an all male similar sized tank for a long time no issue!

Similar to the larger tank? or the Rio 180? I'm guessing the larger one as from what I've managed to dig up I would need more than a 40" tank. I'm actually now looking at a Rio 240 (48") rather than the APS one - then I can just put it on the stand I already have!

what i did was only stock fully coloured males and add 3 at a time one of each type so as to reduce new fish getting all the attention! wont be cheap to do as coloured males can fetch a fair bit of money but well worth it!

The tax man gave me a very generous Christmas present and got promoted in December so it's time to treat myself!!! And want this to be a real showpiece in my flat.

i used very little rock an kept it in big chunks

Have you got pics? I've also been looking at 3D backgrounds - I like the look of some of the vivarium ones though as they don't take up as much room in the tank, and not that keen ont drilling holes etc to hide the filter piping - they aren't exactly cheap and don't trust myself not to get it right!

Id go for one of each or you could do a big group of one or two types which works well to

aulonocara

benga or maleri
maulana
firefish
calico
blue neon
lwanda
ngara
lemonjake or hongi

then add a few haps like

otopharynx lithobates

copadichromis mloto lapingu

proto t reef

otopharynx tetrastigma

placidochromis mdoka whitelips

I think that my preference is a mix of different ones...Do they all have to be different coloured? Or if there were two of some of them would that be trouble? And what kind of numbers in total would you recommend?

Thanks very much for the help Rifty (and Malawi MaD and dh058977) - and sorry for a load of questions! Just want to get this right!!

I don't know much about peacocks, but I do have an all male mbuna tank that has brought me much success. Best of luck. Sounds like you are getting some good advice.

my tank was a profile 1000 and before that a similar sized on i found the extra depth seemed to suit haps and aulonocara :good:

the best all male setups I have seem was a guy called rob who ran a trigon 450 and dartford aquatics both only kept one of each type with amazing results so id say one of each I tried 2 males of a few types and still had some issues :good:

c816b95c.jpg
:good: big rocks cost about 15 quid in total

the 48 tank sounds a good size the ratio depends of filteration and individual taste and each fishes temprement so 10 to 20 depending

where abouts in london are you as i know a couple of good places one north one south you might some of your fish from :good:

the 48 tank sounds a good size the ratio depends of filteration and individual taste and each fishes temprement so 10 to 20 depending
where abouts in london are you as i know a couple of good places one north one south you might some of your fish from :good:

That's exactly how I would want mine to look! £15 for that rock is a bargain.

I would be filtering with 2 Ex1200's. Water will be nothing but crystal clear and so hopefully allow for a nice healthy tank.

I'm in North London - my local shops (all within 15 mins) are Aquatic Design Centre (£25 for adult peacocks but mostly OB's) and Wildwoods, Kingfisher Aquatics, MA at Crews Hill, and one other that I can't remember the name of. Oh and Wholesale Tropicals in East London isn't far on the tube either...Is it one of those?! I also met a Malawi breeder and he has some really nice stock - mostly younger fish though but still an option.

Nick

PS Just to clarify - 180 definitely too small - go for the 4fter right?!

go to ssa in crewes hill! avoid the eastern european rubbish from most the others

yeah go for the 4 footer

go to ssa in crewes hill! avoid the eastern european rubbish from most the others

yeah go for the 4 footer

Never been there but thanks for the recommendation! Agreed a lot of the ones up in Crews Hill have some very sick looking stock. Will let you know when I've managed to get up there.
Cheers
Nick

the best shop for malawis in the uk im hoping to go next week

the best shop for malawis in the uk im hoping to go next week

Now that's a good claim!! I might try to get up there tomorrow. Although the Mrs has just read this over my shoulder as is saying that won't be the case...
If I don't get there tomorrow I may be waiting until Start of Feb...if that's the case can you let me know what price male peacocks would be?

Thanks!!

Nick

wait til feb he has a new shipment comin in soon :good: between 15 to 35 a fish

wait til feb he has a new shipment comin in soon :good: between 15 to 35 a fish

Thanks Rifty...Just checked the website and so very much looking forward to getting up there! Hopefully if I'm buying a fair number they might even be able to do a bit of a discount.
Been looking at tanks today. Sadly none that take my fancy. Apart from one that's the same dimensions as the Profile 1000 and quite interested in that - large viewing area!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back