Air stone / air pump questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

andreisdabest

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do i need an air pump / air stone in a 10 gal /38l tank that has a small-ish filter (aqua one clearview 200 HOB), 2 mollies and lots of Red cherry shrimp
Thanks
A

You don’t need it as long as there is enough flow and dissoved oxygen in the tank, if you’re not sure you can test your oxygen level with a test kit.

Ok thanks. I dont have much surface disturbance and my dalmation molly comes to the surface and kinda gasps in air and water. Is this just normal?

Nope, that is not normal, if the fish gasping for air it either means there is Ammonia or low dissolved oxygen in your tank.

10 US gallons = 37.9 litres = 8.3 imperial gallons.

As long as the filter moves the water round the tank you don't need an air stone. They oxygenate the tank because the bubbles move the water round and if the filter does that, they are aren't necessary.

(However, you will find the molly will outgrow the tank, I'm afraid)

As long as the filter moves the water round the tank you don't need an air stone. They oxygenate the tank because the bubbles move the water round and if the filter does that, they are aren't necessary.
I dont have many bubbles because of the way the water comes out of the filter

Bubbles are not needed, just that the water moves round the tank. I've never used air stones in any of my tanks, I just have filters which move the water.

There are a few species on molly, most of the ones in fish stores are hybrids of at least two. But the care is the same for most of the commonly available mollies.

These profiles give the minimum tank length as 36 inches/90 cm. Balloon mollies may need less space because of their squashed up bodies.

The dalmation molly looks more like a sail fin molly but has these stringy fins hanging down at the bottom. Ive heard that sail fins need brackish water as they mature. Is this true?

Mollies can live in brackish water but they don't need it. What they do need is very hard water, over 250 ppm GH.

Most reactions

trending

Back