Aggressive Gourami is wreaking havoc!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

c25chang

Reaction score
I used an orangeish (maybe it's a flame?) gourami to cycle my tank, and I added some neons a few weeks later and it was perfectly docile. But I just added a pair of veil angelfish and the gourami won't leave them alone. He constantly nips at their fins and tail. I thought gouramis were supposed to be good community fish, what happened?! Anyone with any ideas of how to calm this gourami down and stop him from bullying his tankmates?

I've quarantined him for a few hours and that doesn't seem to work. Suggestions please....

Angelfish and Gouramis seem to compete for the same space. I have three grouramis and they seem to get along well but one tends to chase the others on occasion.

I don't know how to help you with regards to the angels, maybe get a couple more and see if he will take on a group???? :/

Hello c25chang and welcome to the forum :D

Your problem is not an agressive gourami, it's probably a scared gourami.

Angelfish and gouramis are not compatable in the same tank. Usually it is the Angle that tears up the gourami. They are very agressive fish and frequently not the best additions to a community tank. They will also eat your neons.

I'm sorry to have to give you this bad news, but I suggest that you relocate them away from the gourami and the neons. :nod:

_____
P.S. Punishing a fish in not likely to do any good.

My experience with angels is that they are usually the ones getting picked on...they've always seemed to do alright with my other tetras and community tankmates. This is my first time with the gourami though. Do you think he's defending territory? Should I even bother trying to move the ornamentation/plants around?

Thanks for the rapid responses!

That gourami is probably defending his territory and himself, c25chang. :eek: And well he should be.

If you used him to cycle the tank, you risked his life to do it. :/ He has first claim to the territory and has every right to it, IMHO.

Can you disagree? -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back