africans in a 10 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lougotzz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
umm i was just wondering how many african cichlids could fit in a ten gallon tank? They would all be hovering around an inche to two inches. If you could also tell me what to use for there water because i know they need to have different water then new world cichlids and other fish that i am used to. And also what would be good food for them? Are they hardy fish? If you guys could also give me basically any other information that i wll need to know for keeping african cichlids thayt would be great thanks :thumbs:

arfican cichilids is quite a broad term... what were you considdering?

10g is too small for all of them though...even the small shelldwellers.

but i wouldnt keep them for long like i would keep them until they out grow the tank like when they hit something like 4in so i thought that w ould be good

well how do you do the water cause ill putem in my 55

my ph bounces arouned from my tap water because it is very hard what is kh and gh are could you tell me what they are

I've seen people successfully raise a colony of N Multies in a 10g tank. Personally, I'm going with a 15g... ;)

its a rectangle, the dimensions are 144 inches long 36 inches back and 37 inches high and it is also 810 i should correct it

lougotzz said:
my ph bounces arouned from my tap water because it is very hard what is kh and gh are could you tell me what they are
GH is the overall hardness of the water and KH is the carbonate hardness.

Rift lake cichlids (not all africans) need hard alkaline water. Most west africans will adapt to most people's tap water. Of course, we'd need to know your tap water's parameters.

As for what can go in a 10g, you could do a trio, or a trio and one pair of Neol. multifasciatus. With enough shells and territory dividers, this could work out well. Those are about the only rift lake cichlid I'd recommend. There a a few west african cichlids that would work. I have kept many species of pelvachromis in 10g tanks before.

You said you may use your 55. If you are talking about the one listed in your sig, I assume you are going to be relocating its current inhabitants? There are many options for a 55g. Heres a good place to start - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back