African dwarf frog!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicana

Reaction score
Ok the weirdedst thing just happened!!
Ok i know it was my fault for leaving the lid open but i thought i should open it to let more oxygen in.
Anyway i have one frog who is quite big now! and he has long toes.
So i am downstairs sat at my computer and i look down in panic thinking i saw a spider but no! it was my frog!!
He has hopped out of the tank down 18 stairs and across the kitchen floor!!!
I was really really shocked! he went under the computer desk and i was worried for him seeing as wet frog and heat and electricity dont mix, i didnt want him tio die.
I used the fish net and put a cd underneath to slide the net up the wall and pick him up.
I have put him back in the tank and he seems scared but ok!
I was wondering can he survive out of water?? he seemed fine hopping across my kitchen floor full of froggy life!
So do they live out of the tank as well as in it??
Thanks

Your asking if a amphibian who breathes water and AIR can breathe out of water...?

I don't think they can live out of the water, how'd did it hop? I just can't see mine hoping their legs seem to only stretch out to the sides,

Big? An ADF? Are you sure it's not an ACF? African Clawed Frog? They can live out of the water though only as long as their skin stays moist which for totally aquatic amphibians like this probably isn't more than an hour or two tops. Less if it's hot and dry.

Hi,
He is an ACF!! i looked on a site that shows the differenc between ADF and ACF and he has lon webbed toes and sharp looking spikes for fingers and has no webing between them!!
Thats not good is it!!! considering they eat fish! and the fish i have in my tank are quite small!!!
He is a goldy white in colour has red eyes and hops like a king!! i saw him hop a long distance too!! he is fine now.
I know they can breath out of water i wanted to kno if they could live out of water like regular frogs. i read that they only live under water but can come out of water for a few seconds and pushing its luck minutes.
He must have been out a while to get out of my room down stairs and into the kitchen. I didnt know if they where like regular pond frogs who can breath both in and out of the water

So what do i do! keep him in the tank? get rid of him? i really like him now but i don want him to be massive in the tank and eat all my fish!!
Thanks

No frog can live in oxygen. They need both to live. ADF and ACF can only live in water apparently but yes, they are frogs, they can breathe out of water. Now. Why the hell wouldnt you get rid of it. Do you want your fish dead? If you are attached to it so much, go get a small tank or something but dont keep him in your fish tank unless you want dead fish.

im confused i have looked and seen that my frog has features of ACF but he doesnt have black tiped toes my local aquarium said if he is an ACF he would have black tips.
Is this right??

Thanks

Normally yes although I think the Albinos don't have black claws and there might be some without it. I've never cared for them so I really am not sure on that.

if you do decide to keep the frog it will need at least 10gallons
you could probably find a cheap second hand tank for him/her :thumbs:

I'm gonna get an acf. Just don't keep fish with it that it can fit in it's mouth, and you'll be fine. Definetely don't get rid of it if you like it. Has it been eating fish yet? acf and adf can stay out of the water for a few hours at a time. Longest I've seen reported is like overnight.

African Clawed Frogs are incredible survivors. While they cannot normally be kept out of water for very long, these are the frogs that live in ponds that dry up and force them to hibernate for long periods. Then, when the rains come again, the wake up and go about their business like nothing happened. :flex:

Read the section called "Behavior" on this link for more information:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...pus_laevis.html

Your frog can live nicely in a 10 gallon tank as long as it has a secure lid. The wire critter covers work well. They actually do better with frequent cleanings and no filter than they do with filtration because they do not like the vibrations. This makes it a rather inexpensive pet to house. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back